Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racers stay the course at Lock Haven

Racers stay the course

Boats to take the river early today; fireworks tonight conclude regattaBy JIM RUNKLE - jrunkle@lockhaven.com

Cover Photo:
    Sean Augustine of Edgewater, Md., a competitor at this year’s regatta, said he was undaunted by the cancelling of the races Saturday and Sunday, and is hoping for a full day of competition today.

LOCK HAVEN — The Lock Haven Area Jaycees Labor Day Regatta got off to a disappointing start — unless you’re one of the participants.

Tropical Storm Ernesto didn’t dampen the spirits of these boaters, even if it dumped enough rain on Clinton County to curtail the Labor Day races Saturday and Sunday.

When the racers gathered at the Lockport side of the Susquehanna River yesterday to decide if the competition would happen today, the decision was near unanimous.

Spectators can expect to see a full slate of action today, as the boaters make an ambitious effort to squeeze three days of racing into what has become a one-day event.

“I hope the community will come down, enjoy the races and support the Jaycees, race coordinator Lisa Jennings said. “We’ll run whatever we can run.”

Given the soggy cir***stances, a surprisingly large number of competitors have decided to stay the course and remain in Lock Haven for the last day of racing activity.

Sean Augustine of Edgewater, Md., leaned back in his chair near his racing rig, sipped a soda and shared a couple of tall tales with his friends.

“I have two daughters here, and they tell me I’m not allowed to go home,” he said. “They love it here. If I were back home, I’d be sitting on the sofa and watching television.”

He said he spent the down time with his cousins, his father (Dave, who is also a racer) and others.

“I like the way the town supports this event,” he said, “and I also have to say it’s got some of the greatest water for racing.”

“Of course the races still depend on the weather and the river,” said Jennings, a spokesman for the American Power Boating Association’s Central Jersey Racing Association.

John Runne of Newbern, N.C., said his experience with Ernesto was similar to other accounts he’s heard from racers who arrived Friday. “I chased the storm up the coast, passed it, got here and then waited for it to catch up,” he said.

“The conditions were unfortunate, but we’re not discouraged. You’ll have those weekends. I haven’t heard one negative comment. We love everything they do here, and the people and community treat us well, so we’re just happy to be here,” Runne said.

“We couldn’t run Sunday because there’s too much debris in the river from the storm,” Jaycee Racing Committee Chairman Scott Johnson said.

“It was a safety issue,” Jennings added. “These boats are made of quarter-inch plywood, and even a small branch floating on the river could cause a disaster. Right now the plan is to begin early around 8 or 8:30 a.m. and continue through the day.”

Many of the racers want to participate because they are in the running for national ranking and the local races count toward the point totals. Those who earn the highest number of points in their class over the year are allowed to paint a special designation on their craft — and retain bragging rights — until the end of the racing season next year.

As always, the regatta midway, featuring food, games and rides from many organizations and vendors, was open Sunday and will open again at 11 a.m. today.

“We’ll go over all the conditions and get ready for the finish,” said Scott Glossner, Tabernacle, N.J., the racing announcer, “but we’re not just here for the racing ... You take a look at the pit area and you’ll see any age group from toddler to senior citizen. Most participate with their families and use this as a reunion. I’m not a racer myself — I married into it. My wife and son race, and I’m more behind the scenes. This is a good way to hang out and see old friends.”

The local boat race is one of the largest boat regattas on the East Coast. Most of the boaters say the local event is about the friendliest they attend, and it is frequently used by the competitors as a reunion and family get-together as well as a friendly competition.

For the local Jaycees, the regatta is their largest fundraiser and provides them finances to support numerous community projects throughout the year.

A fireworks display at 10:30 tonight will conclude this year’s event.
    Attached Files
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV
Working...
X