No announcement yet.

Giving a Bezoat a Second Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because of my very tight ring gap I convinced myself a couple quick heat cycles before the basket case 80 goes on the boat would be a good idea.
    Here’s the second of two, it’s running a little rich and a little heavy on oil. I know the latter is counter productive to ring seating but I’d rather be safe and it wasn’t getting real hot. I just didn’t want to get out on the water and go right to beating on it to break it in. Yes I know everyone has their own opinion on engine break in just like everyone has a belly button.

Here’s a link for some noise for those who want to hear another 80 running on land. Next video on this one will either be working out the tach settings or on the boat testing.

https://youtube.com/shorts/q2tLctBRN5s?feature=share

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good sound, the dead is alive and well. Want to see it on the hydro. Good show

• That sounds pretty sweet...........looking forward to seeing it out on the water.

Comment

• Albert
      Albert commented
      Editing a comment
      Not bad for a motor that had been relegated to spare parts.

• 11DE77D9-C86A-48E0-BF2A-E3A99714FD3F.jpeg A friend with a press lent a hand last night. Both the gear and the race pressed off very easily. New bearings are on the new shaft and the rest should go together when I get an hour in the garage.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Albert; 06-10-2022, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good. What brand are the bearings? Are they C3 clearance?

• Albert
      Albert commented
      Editing a comment
      NTK, I checked the box not made in china and yes they are c3 clearance as you suggested.

• What a debacle...
    We got there thinking we were ready to test. Then we struggled with getting my brothers throttle cable to work correctly, quickly checked timing on my brothers motor and it was way out, then someone leaned on my mag and discovered it wasn't bolted down as firmly as it should have been and had shifted, so retime that motor as well. Also found one of my clamps was stripped and had to find a bolt to use as a transom clamp for the test.
    Once that was we began to test. I set my motor way down to get it lots of water while breaking it in (just below 1").
    The good news is the basket case motor is working really well, much stronger than last year I think. I never held it for an entire straightaway but it turns faster and pulls harder from midrange. It still needs the carb dialed but I left it nice and rich for break in (next weekend well take a little fuel out).

The really odd think was that with the motor deeper in the water the boat flew much higher than it ever did. I was able to get my turn fin out of the water by 2-3 inches (it would not do this last year with the motor set close to the legal limit.

I'm still not thrilled with the flow or water out of the motor and its possible that it's the prop at this point. Going to try another prop next weekend as well.

Unfortunately my brothers motor was running very poorly, by next weekend it will have new ignition components fuel filter and a carb cleaning. I think it's ignition and Carruthers thinks it's carb related but either way we'll need to get it sorted.

Highlight of the day was seeing Carruthers fly by me in my own boat while I was testing my brothers. Seeing it flying straight and high like it never did last year and just generally looking awesome was tremendously satisfying (wish I had a picture).

Lots to do yet, Motor #2 is coming along.

Comment

• 00225839-B781-4D92-9F38-6F79D7B3A709.jpeg Back in the bbq for 7 minutes.
      New roller bearings, new rear seal and new o ring on the cone. Feels nice and smooth and satisfying.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Albert; 06-15-2022, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Great job on the refresh, Mr Heat helps again!

• Y’a need them specialty tools sometimes.
      So I welded 4 pieces of bar stock inside some exhaust pipe.
      7772A493-1086-48CB-BF65-E8CFDE95E205.jpeg

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool tool. Where does the torque wrench fit?

• Albert
        Albert commented
        Editing a comment
        In my elbow. Version 2.0 could have an old socket welded into the end of the pipe.

• Cool….Very innovative……. Great job.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Albert
        Albert commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dean.

• Not a boat part…but it didn’t come out bad for single stage paint. Shot in a dustbin of a garage.
      E7011199-8189-4F64-8962-F8B1E506822D.jpeg

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent job, what brand and type of paint?

• Albert
        Albert commented
        Editing a comment
        Regular old Nason automotive paint from a spray can, same as most automotive paint stores sell for touch ups.
        I was going to go krylon but I figured this would hold up better once cured.

• A32146A1-E82E-460F-AB8E-50630CC781D6.jpeg When compared to the foot I just rebuilt the old one felt sub par. It also has some play in the top bearing by the feel of it so appart it comes.

I know what your thinking. Can’t you find time to clean your work bench. The answer is apparently not.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Albert; 07-22-2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        In the other foot you rebuilt did you replace the top ball bearing?

Is this rebuild gear case still apart?

If so I would like to see pics of the caged roller bearing in the bottom of the pinion shaft hole and pics of the condition of the pinion shaft race that roller bearing rides on. What is was the condition of that caged roller bearing?

• Albert
        Albert commented
        Editing a comment
        Pete,
        This is the foot off of my basket case motor. The upper bearing just wasn’t feeling good and had a slight amount of play. Figured I better get it sorted. Bearings and seals arrived today so hopefully I can get some work done in the next few days.

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Luc

That's what I figured from your explains in previous posts.

When you remove the pinion shaft with top bearing attached would you post pics of the caged roller bearing pressed in the bottom of the gear case bore hole that the shaft came out of and also pics of the race on the pinion shaft that roller rides on? Check and see how loose that caged roller is it might also be worn?

Look for shims underneath the top ball bearing not shown on the parts diagram. Been there done that.

Thanks
        Pete

• AE2B7A5B-F6FC-4C40-B0A8-A6A10E34CA41.jpeg

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        How about a pic of the caged roller bearing in the bore where the pinion shaft was removed from?

Was there a shim Under the Outside Diameter of that ball bearing, if there shim rests on the shelf in the case?

• DFF855A1-601A-4C70-A45D-05F34D26B8A0.jpeg

Comment

• 953FE868-7FB7-4959-ADFD-A251B3755F5C.jpeg

Comment

• FB602537-2653-4B21-A0F1-B65B6912FE5E.jpeg

Comment

• ZUL8TR
            ZUL8TR commented
            Editing a comment
            Top shield only.
            On my Y80 no shield, better oiling to the bearing and seal lip since a cul de sac dead end design

• Albert
            Albert commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct boss, bottom shield was removed.

Wait, do you mean you removed both seals and added another on top to get more oil to the top bearing ?
            Last edited by Albert; 07-29-2022, 11:16 AM.

• ZUL8TR
            ZUL8TR commented
            Editing a comment
            I just removed the single metal shield on top bearing for better oil movement to bearing and top seal lip, that area is a dead end design. Pinion shaft seal in tower still there. A champ winning Y80 racer I have conversations with also removes shield. Those metal shields are not sealed to small dirt particles and somewhat restrict oil to top bearing and seal lip. When the gear case is bolted to the tower the entire assembly is sealed from all outside debris.

• Vertical shaft complete.
          27727829-7BB1-4D29-998C-C71BB3F94818.jpeg

Comment

• ZUL8TR
            ZUL8TR commented
            Editing a comment
            The end, good show Luc. I use a small dab of red thread lock on that pinion gear nut and also on the prop shaft gear nut as extra precaution.

• I’ve tried 3 times to embed this video but alas here’s a link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSt2-e5ab8A

Time to do some shaping I think.

Comment

• Albert
            Albert commented
            Editing a comment
            I did take the opportunity when the studs were out to take out some of the high spots with a piece of flat bar.
            Not as good as having it levelled in a mill but once again I’m going for improvement not perfection.

• ZUL8TR
            ZUL8TR commented
            Editing a comment
            Luc That is good to flatten the case contact surface, grease is for the minor scratched and divots, need a good seal at the bearing circumference especially where the case is thin walled. FYI the Y80 champ racer I note above in comment 253.3 is Doug Andrews, he mentioned your name Luc on Y80 stuff (maybe another Luc?) in emails we shared on the Y80 tech items.
            Pete

• Albert
            Albert commented
            Editing a comment
            Doug and you have been my primary technical advisors. He has provided great info to me when I ask him the right question and well earned criticism when I express ideas that aren't based in good info.

Hopefully testing next to see if we can pinpoint why the motor still moving water very well. We're going to try a new prop, a new boat, then we start making changes to the hull.
        Working...
        X