Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rex Hall
    commented on 's reply
    You would not need 175 runabout, nobody runs it in Pro.

• pav225
    replied
    Cool ideas John. Would you mind adding which motors could run in each class?
    Thanks!
    - Mike

Leave a comment:

• johnml390
    replied
    I threw together a bit of a class consolidation idea that I think may work for an event of this stature. I have looked at it as more than just an APBA event though. I looked at it as a culmination of the APBA's (CBF & UIM partially added as well) Junior Outboard, Stock Outboard, Modified Outboard, & Professional Racing Outboard categories (as well as Stock Classic & local classes added in also for added fun), the NBRA, the USTS, & the AOF.

APBA/CBF/UIM (Stock Classic/Local Classes included) = around 75 classes total.
    NBRA = 16 classes total.
    USTS (Nationals Only Classes included) = 20 classes total.
    AOF = 34 classes total.

I consolidated things on a "like for like" speed basis (if classes are within a few MPH of each other on average and could/would compete together competitively, I put them together) and kept alky burning classes separated from gas burners.

Came up with a total of 36 classes once consolidated.

J Runabout
    J Hydroplane
    Novice Runabout
    Novice Hydroplane
    A Runabout
    A Hydroplane
    A2 Runabout
    A2 Hydroplane
    B Runabout
    C1 Hydroplane
    B Hydroplane
    C Runabout
    C Hydroplane
    D Runabout
    D Hydroplane
    E Runabout
    E Hydroplane
    Two Person F Runabout
    F Runabout
    F Hydroplane

Vintage C Runabout
    Vintage C Hydroplane
    125cc Runabout
    125cc Hydroplane
    175cc Runabout
    175cc Hydroplane
    250cc Runabout
    250cc Hydroplane
    350cc Runabout
    350cc Hydroplane
    500cc Runabout
    500cc Hydroplane
    700cc Runabout
    700cc Hydroplane
    1100cc Runabout
    1100cc Hydroplane

Might be something to put some thought into. Having ALL the associations/series/federations come together to host such an event. Using a one off class structure to increase field sizes and make for an outstanding show, etc. Could be a great effort for boat racing in general. (If anyone is curious about any of these classes, I can follow up and let you know what exactly is combined with what via this idea. If it's something that you see no way of working.. I'd be all ears of finding a better place to put it.)

Leave a comment:

• johnml390
    replied
    #BUMP

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Let's not lose this subject over time. The last post was 9/15 by Dean Hobart. I would have thought that with all this expertise and ideas you would have formulated a PLAN. Well, how about it. Whose leading this?

Leave a comment:

• DeanFHobart
    replied
    Originally posted by Hydro doc View Post
    Thunder on Wolf Creek will be a much larger event using our big parking lot. Small events occurring around the race. A car show that draws 100 cars. A huge band stand is constructed to hold two rock bands beginning right after the race. A fireworks show after the sun goes down. We hope to invite USTS classes as well as NBRA Stock and Mod. Classes. A kids area is planned with rides. To join NBRA there is a fifty dollar weekend fee.and you can use it to attend another event to gain full membership. Our rules are very similar to APBA's. We run only one elimination heat to get to the top 12. Our budget is around twenty thousand dollars, the tow money has not been determine. Testing Friday afternoon May 31st races June 1st and second. racing start eleven am. Len Miller 19187911733 f
    Leonard,

You NBRA guys rock.... wish we lived closer.

Dean Hobart.........

Leave a comment:

• Hydro doc
    replied
    Thunder on Wolf Creek will be a much larger event using our big parking lot. Small events occurring around the race. A car show that draws 100 cars. A huge band stand is constructed to hold two rock bands beginning right after the race. A fireworks show after the sun goes down. We hope to invite USTS classes as well as NBRA Stock and Mod. Classes. A kids area is planned with rides. To join NBRA there is a fifty dollar weekend fee.and you can use it to attend another event to gain full membership. Our rules are very similar to APBA's. We run only one elimination heat to get to the top 12. Our budget is around twenty thousand dollars, the tow money has not been determine. Testing Friday afternoon May 31st races June 1st and second. racing start eleven am. Len Miller 19187911733 f
    Last edited by Hydro doc; 09-14-2018, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hydro doc
    replied
    Here in Grove, ok we have the largest parking lot in the US for boats , 8 concrete ramps and gentle slope line. Parking for 800 trailers. This was built for the Bassmater classic, which has been held here twice. We are half way between the East and West coast. Our tourism industry could find rooms for everyone. I could see a neutral organization who would conduct the race recognizing all cards, a simple one dollar fee let's you join all groups. The reason this has not been done, is rules are in place to make it way too complicated. Call it the World Championships. I am often irritated with places that just doesn't have enough room for trailers and pickups.

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with John. Let's keep the ideas of this type event moving forward constructively. Looks like to me that the MOON is getting closer.

• johnml390
    replied
    I think for an event like this... it would be beneficial to combine the Stock and Modified portion of things into a one off class structure that was based off of like for like speed. If the class is running within a few miles an hour of each other on average.. run it together as one single class. I would imagine that this would change the current 30 classes between the two and make it more around the 15 to 18 classes mark. Maybe even combine the OSY400 and K Pro from the PRO side into these as well (leaving all actual PRO (alky) classes as is.) Would leave somewhere around 18 classes on that side as well. This not only would save time.. but would also make for larger fields in MANY classes.

Leave a comment:

• johnml390
    replied
    BUMP... Let's keep the ideas and such rolling on this.

Leave a comment:

• modsquad
    commented on 's reply
    1978 Dayton nationals I believe it was around 1000 to 1200 entries, BSH I think I was in elim # 10 out of 13

• Bob Rusnak
    commented on 's reply
    I always said, if you can't put 12 boats on the course there should not be Nationals in that class. What does it mean to win with 4 boats!

• dholt
    replied
    How is everyone so worried about "too many" boats at an event like this? Has anyone looked at the entry list from the most recent Pro Nationals? Very few classes actually show up and about 4 boat average for the ones that do. Complete shame what has happened to the category with the US Title Series splitting off.

Leave a comment:

• johnml390
    commented on 's reply
    Regarding that list of classes asked about by Heat1Racing...

Junior Outboard Category: (4 classes/6 classes if marathon classes are counted)

Junior Runabout/Marathon
    Junior Hydro
    AX Runabout/Marathon
    AX Hydro

Stock Outboard Category: (15 classes/21 classes if marathon classes are counted)

A Stock Runabout/Marathon
    A Stock Hydro
    15 Super Stock Runabout/Marathon
    15 Super Stock Hydro
    B Stock Runabout/Marathon
    B Stock Hydro
    300 Super Stock Hydro
    20 Super Stock Hydro
    25 Super Stock Runabout/Marathon
    25 Super Stock Hydro
    C Stock Runabout/Marathon
    C Stock Hydro
    45 Super Stock
    D Stock Runabout/Marathon
    D Stock Hydro

Modified Outboard Category: (15 classes)

125cc Modified Runabout
    125cc Modified Hydro
    200cc Modified Runabout
    200cc Modified Hydro
    250cc Modified Runabout
    250cc Modified Hydro
    350cc Modified Runabout
    350cc Modified Hydro
    400cc Modified Hydro
    500cc Modified Runabout
    500cc Modified Hydro
    750cc Modified Runabout
    750cc Modified Hydro
    850cc Modified Runabout
    850cc Modified Hydro

Professional Racing Outboard Category: (20 classes)

K Pro Hydro
    C Service Runabout
    C Service Hydro
    C Racing Runabout
    C Racing Hydro
    OSY400
    125cc Runabout
    125cc Hydro
    175cc Hydro
    250cc Runabout
    250cc Hydro
    350cc Runabout
    350cc Hydro
    500cc Runabout
    500cc Hydro
    Formula 500
    700cc Runabout
    700cc Hydro
    1100cc Runabout
    1100cc Hydro

(54 classes total/62 classes if marathon classes are counted)
    Last edited by johnml390; 08-22-2018, 11:50 PM.
Working...
X