Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pav225
    commented on 's reply
    We need to quit trying to make B grow by sacrificing 20ssH. That does not have the best interest of Stock outboard in mind. Focus on growing the B class without cannibalizing 20ssH. You will kill Stock if 20ssH is pushed out..."pushed out" also means replacing the current 20ssH class, with BSH.
    Rename BSH, 20ssH and ask 20ssH drivers to spend $12K on new motor, boat, and props. You will lose them, and Stock won't recover...and you'll never sell motors.
    Let's hear some ideas on how to actually grow B as it is. If there are no ideas to grow it, then kill the class.

• csh-2z
    replied
    BTW. The only reason there is any discussion at all about 20SSH is because there is an opportunity to strengthen two other classes (CSH)and by moving the Y80 to BSH. The importance of strengthening BSH is due to the fact that aside from Yamato, Sidewinder is the only other viable game in town. We need them, and they need our support to stay in business. I realize they have issues to deal with but they're working hard on it.
    Last edited by csh-2z; 11-23-2017, 12:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flatiron
    commented on 's reply
    When you she'll out the 5K for a sidewinder your getting a brand new engine. Are Yamato are used well used

• mercguy
    replied
    FYI..............a new 50hp fishing motor costs $6800............so the $7000 for the Tohatsu D racing motor is actually a good deal and it is BRAND NEW, not used or rebuilt (like the Yamatos). Sorry folks, but new motors are not cheap anymore..............

​PS: does anyone actually know what a NEW Yamato costs?? Wonder what the Japanese circuit racers pay for their motors ??

Leave a comment:

• csh-2z
    replied
    20SSH isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. But, if there were a plan to transition 20SSH into CSH and BSH (motor dependent) what difference does it make? 20SSH is only a name. Is there any reason Chuck couldn't run one of those classes with the same equipment?
    Again, 20SSH is not going anywhere any time soon, but all options for improvement should be on the table if we truly want to implement positive change.

Leave a comment:

• Ericwienczak
    commented on 's reply
    I've been "sawed off" a few times, ironically it's the same kid every time.

• Ericwienczak
    commented on 's reply
    Ryan,

MHRA racer school fills up incredibly fast and has a lot of demand. time and money is the issue. It costs a lot to insure for an extra day and the cost of the school doesn't make the club money.

Then comes the issue of getting people to volunteer, unfortunately most people that want the sport to grow aren't willing to help out

• pav225
    replied
    This highlights one of our big issues...the constant change in directions and talking big changes every off season.
    Stability will help the sport. Case in point, I got a text last night from a new driver in our area. He was telling me that his son also plans to race 20ssH next year and they are looking to get his daughter in AXH. This is AWESOME news!!
    They got started because they were able to find inexpensive rigs, went to our Drivers School, and many people on our Club offer to help. They live near a lake and take the boat out a few nights a week over the summer. They are a cool bunch of people and super fun to have in racing. They are really hooked!!
    He texted again this morning asking about 20ssH and if I thought the class was going to be cut. Talking about cutting our largest classes does NOTHING to help the sport. Here we have 3 new drivers, who are completely hooked, and now worried about having their class cut. It makes no sense.

Chuck, hope you don't mind me sharing.

Leave a comment:

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. People are actually shelling out the $5000 for Sidewinders and ready to if they only knew when they would get them. Equipment will sell if it is available.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    New racing outboards will cost $5000 anywhere you go. We are spoiled by the refurbished/used Yamato situation. A situation that seems to be as unreliable as any other these days.

Admittedly, 20ssH and 25ssR are the only two stock classes to maintain numbers over the last ten years. I think this is a sign that we are prolonging inevitable death. We are clearly not instigating growth. I think demand for D is down due to too many classes in the same speed range and B stock is down because motors have many ??????????????.
    Last edited by ryan_4z; 11-23-2017, 04:04 AM.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    If we drew more spectators then I believe that drivers schools could be busy enough to be hosted separate from races.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    I am not talking about filling stadiums. But when we race in a town people should know about it. We should at least draw a crowd. Nobody will want to race if it doesn't look like fun. Our races have become boring and self-serving.

• ryan_4z
    commented on 's reply
    Just don't put a stupid two-bladed prop on there and we will all get a decent ride!

• ryan_4z
    replied
    Alright, I don't think side-fins and restrictors are the problem. I also don't think they are the solution. The 20ssH idea is not stand alone but part a package of ideas. But I think we can probably all agree that there are bigger fish to fry. I motion to table that issue. The more glaring issue is obviously 3-4 boat races. The clubs would probably combine these classes but these races still count for national points. Perhaps we need to raise our standard for points.

Additionally, I think that the Mod, Pro and J categories need talking about also. Every year the Stockers hash out their issues in raging fashion. Yet, the majority of the 3-4 boat races we see with regularity are the Mod and Pro classes. I believe we need unification to succeed and this means analyzing the situation of all the small outboard categories as one. If the categories could all agree to combine or eliminate say 3 classes each then the whole of outboard racing becomes less convoluted. And when I say eliminate I really mean combine. I don't think there has never been an engine that was legal in APBA Stock Outboard going back to the green-top Mercs that doesn't still have a place to run. (Except the Crescent.) Nobody is ever sent packing. The Mod division was created for out of production motors and obsoleted motors. I believe that the Stock and Pro divisions should race only production racing ouboards and other motors should be raced in Mod.

If a class does not have some sort of niche appeal that makes it distinct from another class then maybe those classes should be one. If a class can't draw half a field then maybe it should be combined. The current assortment of equipment could be easily organized so that none of the classes were very weak and all the equipment would still be viable and competitive. It only takes some imagination and willingness to change.
    Last edited by ryan_4z; 11-22-2017, 05:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big Don
    commented on 's reply
    What kind of Black Friday deals are you having?
Working...
X