Chuck Rine death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Rine death

It is with great sadness to report on the passing of Chuck Rine, who, with the Dunnstown Fire Co. and as a Woodward Township supervisor was very instrumental in the racing activity on that side of the river during the annual Lock Haven Area Jaycees Labor Day Regatta. He's often been referred to as the DuWayne Kunes of the fire company... which... for those who know DuWayne... or Wizzard... is a high compliment. Here's the story of his passing in the Lock Haven Express:

Chuck Rine leaves a legacy of public service
    April 7, 2011
    The Express
    Save | Post a comment |
    A township supervisor almost as well known for his combative style as for his decades of service to Woodward Township and the Dunnstown Fire Company passed away Wednesday.

Depending on who you talked to and what the issue was, Chuck Rine was a royal pain in the keister or a dedicated public servant who knew exactly what he wanted for the community and left no stone unturned in reaching that goal.

"I've been a supervisor for over 20 years and he was here before me," Woodward Township Supervisor James Bressi said. "We got along sometimes, and sometimes we didn't, but outside of that, he was a fine guy. He liked the township and he liked to work for it. He would have really loved to have been around for a new township building, but we've just begun working on that.

"We fought a lot, the three of us," Bressi said, "but we got along after the meetings, and that's the way it's supposed to work. He did a good job and a lot of people are going to miss him. He was especially good as a roadmaster and he took pride in taking excellent care of the township's roads."

"This is a tremendous loss to the residents of Woodward Township," Clinton County Emergency Services Director Kevin Fanning said. "In today's society it's very difficult to find somebody with that level of commitment to public service, but especially in the emergency services sector. I can't say enough about Chuck. The best way to sum it up is he was always willing to help. If you invited 20 people to help you move and only 10 showed up, you could be certain that he was one of those 10."

Fanning credited Rine with being one of the early pioneers in developing an emergency communications system in Clinton County, and noted he served on a number of boards and agencies in those days, but also had a "life-long involvement with public service ... His legacy will live on and he will be missed."

Woodward Township and the Lock Haven Area Jaycees had a long-time working relationship in connection with the annual Labor Day Regatta.

A coordinator of that event, DuWayne Kunes, remembers some of the philosophical differences led to arguments, but added, "Love him or hate him, you had to acknowledge that he was passionate about his work - and you had to admire the time and effort he was willing to commit to his passion ... He loved the fire company and he loved the township, and wanted what was best for those two organizations. He strove for that. I locked horns with him many times over the years, but I have to admire his dedication."

Dunnstown Fire Company Chief Charles "Hump" Smith said it was in the area of emergency services where Rine's dedication was truly in evidence.

The company is recognized as one of the premier rescue units in the county, and that's in no small part due to the many years of leadership offered by Rine, who served the fire company in nearly every capacity of volunteerism.

"I learned a lot from Chuck," Smith said. "He was very knowledgeable and he was a good friend and he will be missed dearly. He was very active - He lived and breathed fire department and he wanted it top notch, which it was."

"It's unreal how much he's going to be missed as a supervisor and as a member of this fire company," Smith said.

"Chuck Rine was a pretty good friend of mine," Lock Haven Fire Chief Bob Neff said. "I've known him for 36 years or more and I learned a lot from him. I know there are people who didn't like him, but that's because he told you exactly where he stood, told the truth and didn't pull any punches. I never had any issue with that or any problems with him. I know that when you called for Dunnstown, they came and did what was needed and you could trust that it was done the right way."

"I was on the board right before he came in originally," said fellow supervisor Clyde Glossner. "I was sitting on the front porch with him a couple of times recently, and he was giving me advice on what to do ... He was on the ball right up to the end. He was a good chairman who knew how to control things, and he was a hard worker ... and although we had disagreements, he recognized that in that situation, somebody had to take charge."

Reporters at The Express, many of whom have had many conversations and interviews with Rine over the years, are apt to wince occasionally when recounting some of those occasions at the municipal meetings.

But most remember that Chuck was just as quick with a joke as he was with a jab - and would frequently offer the latter as a peace offering at the conclusion of those sessions, even as he and the community moved onto the task at hand.

- By JIM RUNKLE
Working...
X