SORC Items for RENO – Merc 44xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORC Items for RENO – Merc 44xs

I apologize for not understanding the process of how items get added to the agenda for discussion in Reno… I’m hoping these thoughts reach the proper people and the SORC will address them.

1. Allowing Wisco Pistons for the Merc 44xs. These are better pistons which causes less wear on the block. Since the 44xs is no longer in production, getting the most life out of what we have is ideal. Also, the availability of these pistons is greater and at a lower cost.

2. Modification to the mandatory use of motor covers, especially on the 44xs. These cowlings are not being manufactured anymore… and once they get broken or destroyed, it really puts a driver in a bind to fix, find or have one made (which nobody is doing anymore either).

I understand the entire “keeping it stock” mentality. However, once the manufacture pulls the plug and production has stopped, some rules should be loosened… especially as parts and supplies become more sparse and/or expensive.

Sincerely
    Josh Pearson

Originally posted by pearson95m View Post
    I apologize for not understanding the process of how items get added to the agenda for discussion in Reno… I’m hoping these thoughts reach the proper people and the SORC will address them.

1. Allowing Wisco Pistons for the Merc 44xs. These are better pistons which causes less wear on the block. Since the 44xs is no longer in production, getting the most life out of what we have is ideal. Also, the availability of these pistons is greater and at a lower cost.

2. Modification to the mandatory use of motor covers, especially on the 44xs. These cowlings are not being manufactured anymore… and once they get broken or destroyed, it really puts a driver in a bind to fix, find or have one made (which nobody is doing anymore either).

I understand the entire “keeping it stock” mentality. However, once the manufacture pulls the plug and production has stopped, some rules should be loosened… especially as parts and supplies become more sparse and/or expensive.

Sincerely
    Josh Pearson
    as a fellow Dstock racer.....

1-----yes........although I think the Merc "ART" pistons were some of the best ever made..........

2------ is Ed Harrington not making the cowls anymore?
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Josh- send these to your local sorc member for consideration at the national meeting. Thanks.
      Kyle Bahl
      20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

44XS cowlings

Just talked to Ed Harrington, he has informed me that he has 6 sets in stock, and can produce more when those are gone. He has provided these to the 44xs drivers for years at very little profit, fyi. Jim

Comment

Merc stuff

I understand the frustrations of not being able to buy parts....when I had my last 44XS motor built I had a very hard time finding rods for it. I have access to a 44XS cowling mold that I had made in 2007. I would go with Harringtons stuff....it is pretty good. As far as Wisco pistons? as long as they are within weight specs of Merc pistons I would vote to allow them. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

I would be for any replacement piston that is mass produced for the engines and I would remove the little rubber water indicator off the water coming out of the top of the block and under the pan. It is nla.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Sweeney View Post
              Just talked to Ed Harrington, he has informed me that he has 6 sets in stock, and can produce more when those are gone. He has provided these to the 44xs drivers for years at very little profit, fyi. Jim
              Jim,

With approval could you post Ed's contact info. Last e-mail I have does not work.

Thanks,

Dave
              Dave Scott
              Aim Marine Inc.
              613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
              Ottawa, Canada
              http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
              DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

uh oh....

I would say allowing Wiseco's should be no problem..............ESPECIALLY since the large wrist pin .015 Merc 780-9229A10 (and the .030) pistons are now NLA............
                Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X