This is what it's all about...2006 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what it's all about...2006 edition

Here are pics of my son Justin learning how to build his own boat, just like my father Jack taught me. It sure can make a guy smile!
    Attached Files
    http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Which reminds me ...

What's the latest progress report from the "J" project at H.A.RM. ... Patrick G?
    Untethered from reality!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Thunder
      What's the latest progress report from the "J" project at H.A.RM. ... Patrick G?
      Boats are turned over, cockpit sides cut out, and deck stringers are starting to go on. They may not make Bridgeport, but probably Kitsap.

I'll get pictures up after this coming weekend.

R-19
      www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Jeff,

It looks like Justin is having a good time and I'm sure he is learning a lot about boat building and hard work. Kudos for building the boat with your son.
        Joe Silvestri
        CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
        JH/JR

Comment

Its great to see. please keep us posted

Comment

Looks Good!!!

Good to see him working hard! Jeff, he is a great kid...love seeing him at the races...I wish I could have a class full of Justins...that would be a sweet class to teach...tell him I said hi and to keep up the hard work...

Nate
            Time to go fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Brewster 59s
              Here are pics of my son Justin learning how to build his own boat, just like my father Jack taught me. It sure can make a guy smile!

Hey Jeff, I bet you weren't putting screws in with a cordless drill when you were a kid.

Here is a pic of my first boat my father and I built.
              and a pic of my nephew working at my shop.

Matt Arlt
              Attached Files

Comment

Got to love them kids

Hey Jeff thats great that you shared the pictures with us. What design (make) is it. I will be building one with my kids this summer too. I think it is a good father son (or doughter) project.

Post some more pictures of the progress in the future.

Mark
                Mark
                G-11
                125H
                When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Thank you to those with kind words.....

Matt...great pics! you are right! we used brass screws and boat nails with Weldwood glue and Zip-guard urethane varnish back then.

Mark... the boat is a Sorenson kit...see his website for more details and pics

We have never made a boat from a kit, always been from scratch with few drawings (and a hell of a lot of head scratchin'). This is the fastest and easiest way to build a boat! I cannot believe how quickly the assembly process goes when the parts are already cut out, numbered and waiting for you! Well worth the extra $$ to build from the kit...

Being a guy that is really into wood, I was impressed with the quality of the wood and plywood in the kit. Darrell does not sell junk wood, that is for sure and I highly recommend his product.

Darrell's directions could use some help, but the kit is quite easy if you have built a boat before. If not, you may need to have his phone number on speed dial !!! lol

Comment

Jeff, Cool posts. And it is what it's all about. Stopping by the Hydro Museum a couple of weeks ago reminded me of this. Nothing like the memories that come from making sawdust with Dad. And then the smell of 50:1 when summer rolls around.

So Matt, when are you going to come out with a composite Glen-L TNT? Cool pic. That's a very popular Glen-L kit, especially in your part of the country. Lot's of cottage racers build them.

BRB

Comment

Great!

Sure looks like you two are having fun. I remember when my dad started building boats he'd have me or Mike crawl under the boat and hold a heavy backer against the stringers as he pounded in the annular ring nails. The basement floor at my parents house is coverd in hundreds of small dots of epoxy.

Weldwood glue, incredibly nasty smelling Petit two part varnish, manually inserted wood screws, and fibergalss resin running surfaces - thank goodness for West, cordless drills and staple guns, at least the wood was of better quality back then.

Bill III
                      Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

"Sure looks like you two are having fun. I remember when my dad started building boats he'd have me or Mike crawl under the boat and hold a heavy backer against the stringers as he pounded in the annular ring nails. The basement floor at my parents house is coverd in hundreds of small dots of epoxy."

Bill, you cracked me up with your post... I was going to mention holding that darn heavy thing for my dad in my original post while he drove in nails!!!!
                        I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about..so I didn't add it.
                        (you should have said, Hey, Let's get Mikey!! He'll do it!! LOL)

I had to run out the boat shop to get mine and take a pic.....

My memory of this event is strong...since it was always great to actually be "needed" by dad in the boat shop for something.

The best was sliding up between the cockpit rails and holding that thing up. The noise was incredible...I can still hear it echo in my head..(maybe that wasn't a very good thing for my young, developing ears)

Aaahh...the sound of 'tap'...'tap'....WHAM!!!!! then Dad saying, ok...(which meant, move down the stringer a few more inches) then, 'tap'...'tap'...WHAM!!!...again and again....
                        Attached Files

Comment

The chines are on!

I used System 3 that came with my kit for the first time today. One major difference is the smell. It almost has a pleasant, floral type of smell. Much nicer smell than West.
                          Justin couldnt be with me today to help so I pulled in a new recruit...Austin Marie just turned four and really wants to help dad build this boat. I gave her the file and let her grind away on the boat jig. She was in heaven!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow,

I thought I was the only one that was on the floor holding up a sledge hammer while my dad pounded the nails in!!!!!!!!!!! Although the differende between Jeff/Bill and myself is......I still do it for him. Dad is still using brass ringer nails. I bought him a staple gun a few years ago for xmas and it is still in its box in the basement. Some things never change, actually I am pretty suprised that we use West System and not weld wood. Dads basement also has a million West drops all over it. It makes it tough to run the shop vac over the floor!

I enjoyed reading this thread, thanks Jeff and Bill.

12M

Comment

I love it! That's how dad and I got to get along so well, drinkin' beer and building boats. I still remember when I first started helping him. Sanding with the grain was my first lesson in woodworking. Being in the shop is the second best thing to being at the races. The best part is, I always win the race in the shop. I still climb in every boat that we build before it's finished, it's alot easier to beat Billy and Shannon when the race is in your head!
                              Ryan Runne
                              9-H
                              Wacusee Speedboats
                              ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Working...
                              X