USTS MECHANIC’s SCHOOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USTS MECHANIC’s SCHOOL

The USTS Continues to lead in the Pro division of boat racing with the efforts of our members. A big thanks to Derek Gesler for putting the Mechanics school together coming up in February.

And we owe the World and National Champ Dan Kirts for securing a building big enough and equipped with machinery to use for learning.

Thanks to both for the follow through on the idea and the opportunity to learn from some great mechanics.

This is the email that went out to all USTS members from Derek.

Mechanics Weekend Update-

Mark your calendars race fans for the 23rd & 24th of February. We will be in Elkhart, Indiana (see below for the map and address) for the first mechanics hands-on experience. We are very excited to get everyone together and work on race stuff! We already have over 30 people signed up, not including group leads. The idea behind this weekend is for you to bring your "project", problem, or idea, and have help working on it! Like we talked about in out last email, we will have machining equipment where we will be! I want us to use that stuff! The idea for this class is to have hands-on experience. If you have never taken apart a Mikuni carburetor, then this is the time. If you want to learn how to measure pistons and understand what the cylinder wall clearance means, this is the place. The best of the best will be there to show you what you need, how to do it, and provide you with a place to keep your notes. Did I mention notes?? Does everyone have a decimal equivalent chart in trailer? What about a drill tap chart for in-between heat repairs? PS Mike Thirlby is the master at helicoils. I am pretty sure he doesn't even have to look to install it perfect! Did I mention he will be there? Back to the notes..Our main goal is to provide support and information to finish heats and win races. We will be putting together a quick reference guide which will include: decimal equivalent chart, drill tap chart, engine tear-down sheet, lower unit set-up sheet, at the lake testing sheets and many more!

We will have parts and pieces to look over, measure, set-up, tear down in the groups. However, we would like you guys to bring projects of your own to the class like that pesky 125 that has been giving you trouble all year. Maybe you have a new set of lower unit gears and you want some help putting it together?
    The class is free to attend. We will have lots of space for stuff to look at or even bring to sell if you'd like.. might have just the thing laying at home that someone has been looking for to finish a project.

Topics we plan to cover: Engine tear down, Lower units, Carburetors / Fuel pressure, Cylinder bore tolerance, Propellers (you know what that means Dewald), Timing: digital and self energizing, Engine tuning, Rigging!

Head mechanics that have already committed - Mike Schmidt, David Jones, Mitch Meyer, Mike Thirlby, Gary Buskirk, Craig Dewald, Danny Kirts, Gesler Metal Works, Nydahl Crank & Machine (more to come!)

If you don't see a topic that you're looking for, email us!! We will be sending out updates leading up to the class.

Rooms - Holiday Inn Express & Suite Elkhart-South (There will be a room block under US Titles Series set up)

Flights - South Bend International Airport, Chicago O'Hare/Midway, Kalamazoo Battle Creek International Airport

Address & Map - 4540 Pine Creek Road, Elkhart, IN 46516

https://goo.gl/maps/3pdMeiGWpQn

Please make sure to RSVP all who will be in attendance so we will have an accurate head count for planning meals, groups, materials, etc.

The mechanics class will be free to all. However, we would he happily accept donations 🙂

This,is awesone. Mitch used to fly to Ca to help show us the Pro yamato years ago. And Litzel flew out as well to shows Konig repairs. Great job and glad to see this.

Comment

What a great event. The USTS is great for boat racing. Thanks USTS.... I wish I lived closer.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Me too Dean!!!

Comment

I am sure Steve would have been there, he was one of the best.

Comment

Working...
          X