R.I.P. Dickie Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Dickie Pond

Sorry to hear that Dickie Pond from Keokuc , Iowa has passed away. He was a very good driver in the Pro Division. Our prayers go out to his family.

Condolences to the Pond family, Dickie was probably one of the best runabout drivers ever. Most notably drove Marshall Grant's Ring of Fire and others.

Comment

I too am sorry to hear of Dickie Pond's passing !

If I may comment, Dickie Pond was one of the Greatest runabout drivers to ever come along !

Nobody in my memory could ever successfully run or race a runabout more out of the water and loose during the entire race than Dickie.

Many times spectators at races that were not familiar with Dickie would say "look at that guy he looks like he is about to flip that thing," only

to be told by racers present "oh, don't worry that's the way Dickie likes to set up his boats to literally fly them the whole race" !

Rest in the Lord's peace, Great One, Dickie Pond. We that knew you well will

miss you greatly, but our memories will never forget your unique style in flying runabouts, as in flying them the complete race to many, many victories.

Regards,

The Paul A Christner family of Quincy Welding Racing

Last edited by Original Looper 1; 02-01-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I raced against Dick Pond back in the 60's, even beat him a few times in the hydro, but it was fairly spectacular to watch him drive a big DeSilva like it was a rollup boat. It didn't seem to matter whose boats he was driving, he seemed to up front or fighting for position with Bill Seebold a lot.

Comment

Sorry to hear of Dick's passing, blessings to the Pond family.

Duke Johnson

Comment

Boat racing has its legendary drivers and he was certainly one for sure! Condolences to his family.

Joe Franck

Comment

The first time I saw Dickie was at a Midwest Power Boat race in the late 50's. He was driving A and B for Ross Gibson and Bill Collins; C and D for Marvin Penn. During that era it was not uncommon for him to win every heat he entered. One of the greatest race drivers of all time. Over the years we became friends. The last time I talked to him was at Depue a couple of years ago. Rest in Peace, Dickie. - Tim Chance

Comment

Rip
                A legend

Comment

My father Stan Dotseth raced against Dick Pond back in the 60's with Midwest Power Boat Assoc. and beat him one time. Dick Pond was one of best drivers there ever was. Sad to see another boat racing legend gone, but never forgotten..

Comment

I can't remember I time I did not know Dickie. As Tim mentioned, he drove for my Grandfather in the 50's and early 60's. When I asked Dick how they met he told me they met while racing against each other in endurance races on the Mississippi river. Great family friend, soft spoken man, and one heck of a driver. Kindest thoughts and sympathies to his wife Kay, family members and friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X