Racing in month of July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing in month of July

A third of the US Title Series Season is completed, and all classes are being fiercely contested. The Professional Outboard Hydro and Runabout Racing Series has scheduled the month of July with three of the racers favorite and best racing venues. After competing at Lake Alfred Florida and Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin early in the year, Round #3 finds the US Title Series at Lake Springfield Illinois this coming weekend, July 1st and 2nd.
    Amy Nydahl driving boat #71 and Eric Schmidt in #2 are presently in the lead and tied at 700 points in 250cc Hydro. In 125cc Runabouts, Tim Small’s #5 and Bradley Dygert piloting #192 are also tied in points. Two points separate the leaders in 125cc Hydro, David Jones’ #32 leads the #9 boat of Raymond Hammond.
    The other classes are competitive as well in the Twelve Class Series, Amy Nydahl is leading in two other classes, 350cc and 1100cc Hydro. Dan Kirts in familiar H4 leads 500cc Hydro with 700 points. KPRO Leader #23 Makenzie Hellsten has 800 points. Raymond Hammond’s #9 is the current leader with 700 points in 175cc Hydro. Leading with 800 points, Tim Small in #5 is the one to beat in 250cc Runabout, and driving boat #88 Tim has the lead in 500cc Runabout. Austin Vanover leads the pack of 700cc Runabouts with 600 points. Finally, JJ Walls in 350cc Runabout driving #88 leads Brian Payn’s #X-21 by only 56 points.
    July is action packed with two other race venues. Round #4 brings the Series back to very long-standing ALKY race course, Constantine Michigan during July 21-23 weekend. The biggest race of the year, and friendliest little town with the biggest heart, USTS Round #5, is at DePue, IL for the Lake DePue National Championship Boat Races, scheduled for July 26-30.
    If you get a chance ,come watch the Series race, better yet, come race with us.
    Check the US Title Series out on their new web-site.
    ustitleseries.net

It's really too bad that literally half of the season is scheduled in one month, making it impossible for some of us racers that travel over 1000 miles one way to any of the USTS scheduled races. This automatically takes us out of any contention for a high point title, not because of how we have placed but because we simple can't afford the cost to travel to 3 races in a month or we can afford to lose our jobs doing it. It's very unfair for races that live out side the mid west and have to travel further than just a few hour to a race.

The title series schedule reaches from April- September with no scheduled race in June or august. It only seems sensible and fair to move at least one of the races in July to one of these non scheduled months and make it more of a season with one race per month. Especially if all we are getting is 6 races per year.

Comment

David Hooten,
      After I read your post, I immediately thought about pulling my post as I have done so many times before after getting a negative response.
      For some time now, I have been trying to post positive information about the sport.
      As a volunteer referee, and a non-racing member, without any connection with the running, rule making, and workings of USTS, I’ll share my assessment of the sport.
      The sport need more volunteers!
      Race after race the same people do the work, and the same people do the *****ing (complaining).

I’m sure the need for volunteers apply to all the organizations and divisions - stocks, mods, pros, and the larger classes.
      My advice to all racers, sell a race, help out at the race, set up & take down equipment and the race course, clean up the pit area, operate the flags, be a turn judge, publish a story about racing, help a fellow driver to get on the course, bring in a new race member into the sport, Christ do something!
      Don’t be one of those *****er (complainer).
      Last edited by KURPS; 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM. Reason: post whouldn't take bitching & bitcher so I added complaning & complainer

Comment

• Hootenracing88
        Hootenracing88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bill in no way was this a shot at you. And to be clear this is Daniel Hooten not David.

I am a new member, maybe even one of the newest to the title series.

• KURPS
        KURPS commented
        Editing a comment
        My apologies to David.

Daniel, I understand your difficulties. While actively racing for 40 years, most race seasons, I had only 10 vacation days to go to as many races as I could.

You need to know some history, in the early ’80 many of the ALKY race clubs were going under, if USTS didn’t form, PRO racing might have died at that point. If that had happen, we all would might be racing drones today instead of boats.

Bill

Mr Kurps,

The only problem I have with you, is that I didn't get to know you and become a friend with you much earlier in my life. That said, you are a smart man and a giver, not a taker. In my opinion, that is what our sport needs and is lacking the most. The balance is unsustainable, as it is, between givers and takers. For the future of the sport to survive, this current imbalance must change....radically.

Regards,

Paul A. Christner

Comment

• KURPS
        KURPS commented
        Editing a comment
        Paul, thanks for those kind words. Bill

Mr Kurps,

I will be attending the Springfield and Depue races. Please direct me to where I can pitch in. I sign up for turn judge duty at every race I attend (selfishly because it is the best seat in the house) and always pitch in to setup and tear down when I see gaps in the workload but I would like to be more involved with the overall process at the races I am able to attend. For reasons stated above I can not be at all of the races on the schedule and I must have time to race and to help my teammates (osy, 125/175 and 500, 700, and 1100 runabout and hydro). I am young and able so please put me in the hunt.
      -Nick Hooten

Comment

• KURPS
        KURPS commented
        Editing a comment
        Nick,
        Young and able is what every volunteer organization needs!
        Please do help.
        I believe at registration, there are sign-up sheets for Turn Judge, Pick-up Boat Duty, and Tear Down of Equipment. If not, see Susan Sailer, Scorer or Todd Brinkman, Race Director.
        Thanks for your help, and all those that always help to put on some of the best racing around.
        Bill
        Last edited by KURPS; 06-26-2017, 05:48 PM.

I agree with both Bill and Daniel.. Time and distance may keep Wright Racing from hitting the water this season. That said gonna be a long time before Jim could even think about 3 or 4 in July.. Listen we all love racing but there are other things to do. Every race1000 miles or more and now you know why I did the Hartford race. The folks in the rust belt spend the time found the sites and spent the money.Everyone wants races closer to home. Unless you find the time money and a site near you its 1000 miles. Agreed positive support is best so (for Bill) I positively would not like to have 3 or 4 races in July. But having to be at the mercy of those who own the pond,it is what it is. Tried to get another race at Hartford and city wanted 30,000. They shot that dog. Hope to see ya all.

Pat Wright

Comment

Pat, does that mean you are not going to be at DePue to safety Inspect the Capsule Boats?
        The referee with the gout will cover your butt.
        Bill

Comment

• raceright
          raceright commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah gout. That sucks. No meat,more water,cherries & other fruit. To much acid in ya. Depue doubtful. Maybe . Tennessee looks better for Jim.

Daniel:

A pleasure to see another "Hooten" both involved and active in the sport.

As Bill said, if not for USTS there would be very few alky races these days. Also Constantine and DePue have been on the same weekends since at least 1970, and when sponsors have put on racing for that long, especially alky racing, it becomes very hard to change to different dates as in the case of the VFW post in Constantine and the Men's Club in DePue. Constantine for example has several other races during the summer, and held the APBA PRO and MOD Nats just this last week, so a lot of work for that sponsor. In addition it (Constantine) is a very good "tune up" for the Nationals the next weekend. and if you have motor/boat problems a chance to work them out and race the next weekend without having to go home without a boat ride.

The folks in the communities look forward to these dates also, just as WE Yankee's used to look forward to the Citrus Circuit in Florida during the Spring. There used to be enough races there, 5 or 6 or more in that period of time, that you could go to Florida and stay a couple of weeks if you wanted and really get a lot of racing, a good sunburn, not to mention the many places to test during the week, plus very good seafood.

For all those reasons, and more we find ourselves in the situation that exists today.

The loss of boat racers has hurt all of us, but that is another story for another day. Thank goodness USTS is still there and healthy, at least for now with the volunteers and leadership it has!!
        Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Thank you Mr. Van Steenwyk.

I understand that Constantine is a "legacy race" and was informed from another very reliable source that Springfield could only get the sponsors that they do if the race is run on the July 4th weekend.

I understand that a lot goes into putting on a boat race. And I'm not asking for races closer to me. I have and will continue to drive the 1000 miles one way to go racing.

I just find it a serious issue as a new racer to have to take off the entire month of July in order to make the races. As stated before, that's HALF of the entire season. It's hard to sell boat racing to someone who knows from before even the first race of the year that he/she cannot win a high point unless there is some kind of extreme fluke. That in it's self is enough to turn a potential new racer away.

We keep looking back at days past and it's comparing apples to oranges... there isn't 30+ races a year that you have to pick and choose from on either which one to go to as a racer or where/ when a certain race can be scheduled due to other races. If we keep comparing today to yesterday, we won't have a tomorrow for boat racing.

I've said my 2 cents and realize maybe I shouldn't have originally posted to begin with and also that this isnt the place to discuss this any further at least for me it's not.

Daniel
          Last edited by Hootenracing88; 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X