No announcement yet.

Boat racing trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question #15 - From 1961 thru 1970 nobody won more Nationals than this driver , he had 12 , name him ??

Comment

• dwhitford
      dwhitford commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this Stock or Alky, or both?

It's got to be Mr. AC spark plug, Jerry Waldman.
    Tim Weber

Comment

• racingfan1
      racingfan1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Tim but that is incorrect

Well thats who I thought as well Tim

Comment

Jerry Simison

Comment

• racingfan1
        racingfan1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry Lee but Jerry is incorrect as well.

was it a 36 class driver?
      Untethered from reality!

Comment

Bill Seebold .

Regards.

Paul.

Comment

• racingfan1
          racingfan1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Paul is correct , Bill had 12 while Jerry Waldman had 9 and Jerry Simison had 8.

• racingfan1
          racingfan1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was a wee bit young back in those days so perhaps you more seasoned guys can answer this for me , while Jerry Simison was a great runabout driver did he ever take a ride in a hydro ????

Question #16 While Jerry Simison had 8 titles between 61 and 70 he won another 8 between 71 and 76 for a total of 16 , the question is in what class did he win most of his titles ?

Comment

• David Weaver
          David Weaver commented
          Editing a comment
          350ccR or BRR

• racingfan1
          racingfan1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry David , incorrect

This is all pretty cool, but lest you forget, there (are) were a whole lot of guys who, even tho striving mightily, never even win one race. Whether limited by finances or ability, they helped support the sport. The same applies today, be sure to get behind any newbies. Welcome them to the sport. Ask them if they need any help.Loan 'em a good prop. Point out how they could improve their rig or driving skills.

You will reap the benefits of more, and improved competition.

Comment

• racingfan1
          racingfan1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Points well taken. I think ability is the key factor. Name any sport/hobby , whether it is a baseball pitcher/batter , football quarterback/linebacker , hockey goalie/winger , etc , the skill required to do each is the key. You can buy the best of everything but that does guarantee a win. There is that it factor. It was said that Dale Earnhardt could FEEL the air around his car , Ted Williams had the ability to see the spin on a ball better than anyone else and Wayne Gretsky could feel where the puck was on his stick blade at all times. All of these skills are natural. Some athletes , yes boat racers are athletes , can practice all they want but they will never have that natural God given skill. It doesn't mean they cant be very good at their chosen sport and win on occasion , it just means given the same equipment they , those lucky ones , will always have a decided advantage.
          Last edited by racingfan1; 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM.

Jerry won the most in 250 r

Regards.

Paul

Comment

• racingfan1
          racingfan1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Once again Paul you are correct. Jerry won 5 ARR titles , he had 4 in DRR , three each BRR & CRR and also one in C service R. I believen Mark Suter has his A motor in his collection.

• Dale- Glad your posting these. Like you I'm wayyyy to young to know many of these answers lol but it's great we remember the great accomplishments those mentioned did. Mtech marine I understand your reply as I was one of those guys you mention. But to me I'm a Hall Of Champion racing against many legends who taught me, coached me if you will. We all I'm sure had mentors. Thirbys, Litzell, Fuchlin, Joe Johnson all helped me plus many more. Thanks to those that helped me as I know I was a challenge.

Comment

• Dale, to answer your question. When Jerry Simison started racing he ran A and B Hydro. Unfortunately he was involved in the accident at a race in Duluth, Minnesota on August 5th, 1962 where Dave Berg lost his life in A Hydro. Jerry continued to run hydro classes the next year and then switched exclusively to runabouts up until the early 70's when he quit Pro completely and briefly ran Mod 50. August 5th was the day Marilyn Monroe died. The last words Dave said to me was: "Did you hear Marilyn Monroe died?" Dave was great at telling jokes and I just stood there waiting for the punchline. I will never forget the events of that day
          Last edited by T Chance; 01-08-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• runabout333
            runabout333 commented
            Editing a comment
            Was Dave Berg from Minnesota? And if he was, did he have a son named Glen? Glen Berg raced with the Minnesota club in the late 80's & early 90's.

• Yes, Dave was from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Dave was unmarried and only 23 at the time of the accident. No children. He did have a brother a couple of years younger though.

Comment

Working...
          X