Boat racing trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat racing trivia

I had researched these questions for the DePue Reunion this past summer but we didn't have any interest so I thought the racing off-season might be a good time to test the knowledge of the racing community. so here we go.

Question #1 - From 1993 to 1996 this father and son both won a PRO National championship , name them ?

Dan and Jim Kirts
    Ben

Comment

Nicely done Ben , 1993 - Jim won 350R and Dan won 350H , 1994 Jim won 1100R and Dan won 250 and 350H , 1995 Jim won 350R and Dan 250 , 350 and 500H and finally 1996 Jim won 305 and 500R with Dan taking the 350 and 700H

Comment

Qustion #2 - DePue held its first ALKY National in 1961 and they returned in 1965 for a ten year run , can you name the 3 sites , and you must get all 3 , from 1962 to 1964 that held the Alky Nationals ?

Comment

Bakersfield, Lacrosse, Winona

Comment

Sorry Ray that is incorrect

Comment

Ackworth, Ga. was the one left out. I remember Bakersfield as that was one of the worst boat racing trips I ever took That was 1982 I believe.

Comment

Ackworth Ga.was the one left out. Bakersfield was in 1982. The worst boat racing trip we ever took.

Comment

Sorry Bill , I think you need to check out the years on the question , i am looking for 1962 ,1963, and 1964 sites.

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
                    bill van steenwyk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whoops, I need my bifocals tonite.....

62 - Bradenton, FL; 63 Moses Lake, WA; 64 Casper, WY
                  Fred Hauenstein

Comment

• Fast Freddie
                    Fast Freddie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bakersfield was 1960

Winner winner chicken dinner, Fred is correct.

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
                    Editing a comment
                    Well. he has an excuse. He is older than MOST all the rest of us, and two of those were west of the Rockies and he was as California boy at the time. If he didn't go to Bradenton he probably read about it in the Propellor or was too young.

• Fast Freddie
                    Fast Freddie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Who's calling ME old, Bill???
                    Bakersfield was my first nationals; Pop wouldn't take us to Florida; Jim and I each won a title at both Moses Lake and Casper!

Ok, I'm way to young to remember, but I'm resourceful. I was born the summer of '63

Here is an answer even a little more correct than Fast Freddie's answer.

1962: Bradenton, FL hosted all classes except "M" (don't know if M nationals were held, but Bob Hawley, Jr was 1962 Nat'l high points in M)

1963: Moses Lake, WA hosted all classes Aug 23-25 except "M" & "F" which were hosted at Redding, CA the following weekend Sept 1

1964: Casper, WY hosted all classes August 14-16

Comment

• Fast Freddie
                    Fast Freddie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, more correct: Almost all the FRRs and MOHs were in California so they ran their nationals in California several times. Moses Lake '63 did run the F hydro nationals, won by Jim Schoch (who won COH & DOH, too). In Redding, CA, George May won FRR and Dale Davidson won MOH.

I was at the Bradenton and Casper races. They were both unusual, The pits at Bradenton were on one side of a highway and the course was on the other side. Drivers had to leave the pits and drive under a bridge to get to the race course and it was salt water. I believe it was called Palma Sola Bay.
                  The lake at Casper was about 20 miles from town, with nothing in between, wilderness. It was also at an elevation of over 4000 feet. When testing began, no one could get a boat on plane, we all had to try smaller propellers.
                  RWD

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
                    Editing a comment
                    I seem to remember Butch Leavendusky telling me the water was some of the coldest he had ever tested or raced in also, probably because of the altitude.

Question #3 - This will be the first in a series of these questions , it is difficult enough to win 1 National title ina year but these driver won 3 in one year , so here we go. Name the driver that won 3 titles at the 1981 PRO Nationals ?

Comment

• bill van steenwyk
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't think it was the '81 Nats. Try sometime after the '86 Nats. But the answer is Larry Conners as Steve mentioned on page 2 of this post. If you asked for the reason I know, I would just be accused of bragging.
                    Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 12-21-2016, 09:12 PM.

I will say Jack Kugler

Comment

Working...
                  X