Helmet Update Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Update Rules

In case you missed seeing this change to the US Title Series 2015 Rule Book, page 13, Rule #6 - see below........
    1. Helmets must be a competition grade with a Snell rating of M2005 or SA2005 or better. Helmets must be in good working order free of any cracks, defective straps, buckles, loose padding, or broken face shields.

For your reference.......
    M2005 is the Snell Motorcycle standard, and SA2005 is the Snell Auto standard.
    The newest Snell standards are M2010 and SA2010.
    In UIM the 2005 standard will not be valid after December 12 2018

Addition requirement to US Title Series 2015 Rule Book, page 13, Rule #6........
    VI. Mounting of GoPro cameras or any like device to the helmet is prohibited.

DOT helmets are OUT.Go to USTS web site for all new 2015 rules.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point Tom!

As per new USTS 2015 helmet safety rule.
    I have a list of over twenty drivers 2014 inspection sheets
    that show older then 2005 snell aproved helmets for 2015
    races season.These helmets have to be replaced by your
    first race in 2015.Any Questions call or email me.

Tom Cronk
    USTS Safety Inspector
    863-665-5449
    tcronk@tampabay.rr.com

Comment

Bil and/or Tom,

Are the K rated helmets legal?

Link to snell foundation website
      http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff Snell Standards specific question

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
      1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
      2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
      3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.

I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
      The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        As the rule is written now, the Snell K standard is not legal. The USTS BOD is the only body that has the power to write USTS rules. If you need additional clarification on the rule you need to contact them as per last rule on page17 (rule has no letter or number) of the current US Title Rule Book. The rule would need to be changed for the referee to allow the K standard.
        Bill
        Last edited by ProHydroRacer; 11-13-2014, 05:45 AM.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave, I researched your question and sent my recommendation to the president of USTS.
        Bill

Bill,sendme a copy of your recommendations.Tom

Comment

Thanks Bill,

First, the intention of my question is not to stir the pot, I'm shopping for a new helmet right now and don't want to limit my choices unnecessarily.
        That said, if the rule is SA or M, that's fine, it certainly isn't going to be coming out of the bargain bin regardless of the required rating.

Dave

The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          At this time, the USTS BOD has yet to rule one way or the other. Bill

As of 11/21/14 I received an e-mail from the president of US Title Series.
        The Snell K 2005 Helmet Standard or better will also be legal per the 2015 US Title Series Rules.
        Bill

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for looking into this.

Dave

Comment

Pegasusautoracing.com has Bell helmets on sale through the web site. Jack

Comment

Working...
            X