X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Peffley
    replied
    More info please...

Does anyone out there know a website address for some of the European 250ccH boat builders???

Al Peffley
    15-R/R-25

Leave a comment:

• Al Peffley
    replied
    First Responses Comment

Hey Guys,

I realize that the afterplane dimension is very important, and I do keep track of who wins at major races and who the boat manufacturer was for that winning driver and boat. Hopefully, some the builders will be willing to share some "non-tweek", general information with me without me having to go to multiple races measuring every boat design per class (assuming the boat's owner might allow me to measure his hydro.) I'm looking for a ball-park figures table here, not one developed from aerospace lift and marine development technology science. One of my current boats is a hybrid of two boat builder's special "tweeks", and that hydro and I have done well in the past (if the motor runs well, with the right prop, and if I lost a little weight.) LOL - You can have the best hydro in the world and mate it with a driver that can't control that hydro as well as the consistent winners in our sport; I know that I don't match the winning driving capabilities of a Chris Helsten or a Jamie Nilsen. Obviously, I am not as knowlegeable about hydros as some of the members of this forum. Keeping insider information on boat characteristics is the edge one needs for winning? I already know the "tweeks" that I don't want in my next boat! I always want to pick a boat's design characteristics that are stable and safe, as well as being fast and at least placing in the finish.

Al Peffley
    15-R/R-25

Leave a comment:

• Bill Huson
    replied
    Yeah, buy a running rig to get started . . .

As for dimensions, save for the J class, there are no rule RE dimensions/class for hydroplanes. And overall length isn't all that important, but the distance betwixt the sponson back and transom (afterplane) IS important. Faster you plan on going, more afterplane inchs needed.

The former is a gross simplification as there's dozens of measurements and angles involved in building a boat. Not to mention every year some boat builder *tweaks* a number that worked great the year before and has a boat that works better. Hydro design is art in motion :-)

Leave a comment:

• pops67g
    replied
    Science is wonderful but...

You might find the task of choosing a new boat a little easier if you just found out who builds the boats that have won championships in the class you are interested in. Number crunching is cool, but real world results probably are more reliable. I am pretty sure I know what is best for the classes I run, but I will refrain from advertising at this point. Good luck in your quest.

Leave a comment:

• Al Peffley
    started a topic Outboard Hydroplane Dimensions

Outboard Hydroplane Dimensions

I always wondered if anyone has developed a table of optimum dimensions for each class of outboard hydroplane (pro, mod, and stock) that we race. I realize that successful designs vary by size of driver, weight & power of motor, method of mounting the motor (clamp or bolt-thru plates), kneeler or laydown, sponson design, bottom design, structural materials selection, lift control characteristics, etc.; so I assume that each boat dimension set for a class has somewhat of a range of acceptable dimensions (including overall boat length.) Does anyone out there have a table of dimensions, by hydroplane class (APBA/UIM), for the latest hydroplane designs? I would like to use this table as a reference to either order a new boat or buy a good used hydro through this website. I am especially looking for dimensions data on the faster class mod and pro boats (hydros larger than the CSH/OSY classes, but not excluding C-mod). I would like to include cockpit dimensions in the table. Any help in obtaining or developing this "typical" mod and pro hydro dimensions table would be appreciated.

Al Peffley
Working...
X