Friction Reduction Coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friction Reduction Coatings

Winter repair time again and I'm curious if anyone has had good results from using a friction reduction coating on the bottom of your hydroplane? I'm considering using a product like this on the bottom of the sponsons/skid fin/planing surface but I'm not sure if the work load + costs would outweigh the benefits?. Does anyone know of any products like this that can be applied relatively simply over cured epoxy that has shown good results??

Start out with making sure that the bottom is flat.... at least the last 3 feet. Then the friction reducing coating sure will not hurt.

What type of coating are you thinking about? What is the cost?
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I agree with Dean flat bottom fore and aft and left and right for about last 3 ft and I sand the rear bottom and sponson bottoms. When I raced I found gloss finish was not as fast around the race course as sanded. It's how fast around the race course that matters if you get a good start ;-) I used flat black spray and hit it with 400 grit wet fore and aft only.

Today this spray works very well for that, great product. Also their gloss is a great paint I use it on the black Merc powerheads and lowers and other. To prep just sand the epoxy and wipe clean and remove all residue, I use lacquer thinner for that:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...cOxA&gclsrc=ds

I would forgo the friction coatings. Spend the $$ on props.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Working...
      X