Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nasty Crack on a Merc 44XS looks like we need a complete new foot?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty Crack on a Merc 44XS looks like we need a complete new foot?

Has anyone seen this happen before? It just made a chuck, chuck noise then we noticed an oil slip and found the crack. Do you think it can be welded up? Looks like we need a complete foot with the gear set, anyone got something available out there?
    Thanks
    Rod
    Any ideas what could of happened to our Merc 44xs foot. It just made a chunk, chunk noise and a oil slip appeared. Had a look and found this crack along the skeg. Do you think it can be welded? Are there any foots for sale out there, seems like Iíll need a complete foot c/w gears set.
Thanks
Rod

Re: Nasty Crack on a Merc 44XS looks like we need a complete new foot?

-is it possible that is a 'frost crack' ? ie; water freezing in the pump cavity ? I often wonder if the circular cracks one sees at the base of the cone threads is not frost pushing the cone out . I would try welding, if u can find someone experienced . What is there to lose ?
    bill hoctor likes this.
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

• Picklepower
      Picklepower commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Brian
      Thanks for the info. I have a welder that says he can do it.
      Rod

Hello Picklepower,

Side issue.... In 1973 I built one of the first, if not the first A Stock Hydros in the country. That boat set the competition record in both 1973 and then again in 1974 at Lawrence Lake, Yelm, Washington. The name of the boat was Pickle Power.

Best Regards,

Dean Hobart.... Racing boats since 1962.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I have welded lots of gear cases. I'm thinking that one is going to give you problems after you weld it up. Have the welder do a Die test on it to find the end of the crack. Drill it thru and then start to grind it out to weld it weld it. If you dont drill it throw it away, it will keep cracking.
      Gootz 142M and bill hoctor like this.

Comment

Has anyone seen this happen before? It just made a chuck, chuck noise then we noticed an oil slip and found the crack. Do you think it can be welded up? Looks like we need a complete foot with the gear set, anyone got something available out there?
        Thanks
        Rod
        Talk to Doug Kay in Roseville MI. at 586-212-5917. There is more then just welding. The case will distort due to the welding and some machine work is needed to be done. I have had him do a number of cases for me. I had a 55-H unit split just like that by the way!
        Last edited by OldRacerBU; 07-08-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X