Cut resistant clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut resistant clothing

Is there a technical guide to cut resistant clothing...? I have read the rule book and can't find anything that states a specific number or minimum specs for the cut resistant clothing or cut suits other than it must be 'cut resistant' and must cover all but your hands. No rule on gloves. I am trying to find a safe cut suit but in my search have found a good amount of NON racing specific clothing with a minimum of cut resistant level 5. Does this mean I don't HAVE to buy a racing specific suit from one of the two manufacturers..........?

Dont overthink it. Simply buy one from SRP or Lifeline and be done with it.
    11P Joe Sees III

Comment

Support the sport.

Comment

Have I asked another controversial question...? I am not sure what or how I am not supporting the sport by simply asking where or if there are specifications to follow on safety gear. I am new to this, I have questions, instead of flaming away maybe someone can answer the question and provide me with the reason behind why this question is somehow inappropriate.....I'm really getting confused.

Comment

• Brian10s
          Brian10s commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave,
          You didn't do anything wrong. Basically, some newbies will want to look around for either "the best grade" or the "best price" when in comes to safety gear. There is no mandate that says you have to buy this specific brand, type or grade level of protective gear. Having said that - 99.9% of all Outboarders are wrapped in either Lifeline or Security products. Are they the best? - who knows. Does their products work, yes but then again no product is 100% injury proof. These products will enhance the drivers safety in the event of an issue.

So the comments you received are more geared from their personal experience. The best advice is don't try and reinvent the wheel. Keep it Simple and you will have plenty of time to make improvements to your program later. Now, buy what everyone else is using and move on to the next item on your list. Down the road, if you find a better protective glove or sock or whatever, let everyone know. No one has ever gotten faster with Safety Gear but without it, your career can end in a blink. If you find something better, I know I would like to know.

If you have any questions that you don't want to post on a message board - message or email me brian10s@hotmail.com. I will be happy to answer any question. There are no dumb questions (but I'm sure I can provide some dumb answers).

Thx
          Last edited by Brian10s; 01-17-2019, 07:57 AM.

• M Miner
          M Miner commented
          Editing a comment
          Just tried to save you time Dave. If you want to use a speed skating cut suit or hockey clothing go for it .Just remember neither of those sports are you ever going to get hit by a boat.

Dave, what is your height and weight? I have a like new SRP cut suit that I would be willing to sell you cheaper than you can buy new.
        Ryan Brewster 57-S

Comment

• Dave Cofone
          Dave Cofone commented
          Editing a comment
          Ryan, thanks for the offer. I am 5'7" and weigh 188. I'm working on 180 and it would be really cool to get down to 170 but I like french fries too much so......

Who flamed ya Dave?
        11P Joe Sees III

Comment

I will most likely go with one of two brands. It is just a matter of finding the right one to buy when you can't try them on to see if one has better fit or freedom of movement in a kneeling position etc. The interviews on Throttled were very informative so I'll probably call each one and decide from there.......Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Dave, I am a Lifeline distrubuter and can get you (or anyone) 10% off list price from the website. All our cut suits are custom fit and made to your measurements. We do not sell anything pre-made “off the shelf and have 24 colors to pick from. Give me a call if interested. 317-319-6574.

Josh Kimble

Comment

• dil/viller
              dil/viller commented
              Editing a comment
              Josh, does lifeline offer a complete cut resistant sock? so far seems with the mandate we all have but one choice for a supplier. not good.

i’m not sure what you mean by a complete sock. Our socks are made out of the same cut resistant material from toe to heal to the top of the sock.

Comment

I think I'll re-listen to Throttled tonight......I need to make a choice and both manufacturers were interviewed a couple episodes ago.......

Comment

Dave,
                Used gear can save a bunch , but having new gear helps you focus on task at hand.
                Buying new means you need a fabric tape measure and a list of numbers to fill the application.
                I got lucky and had a SRP rep doing one of the. region 10 J kids while I was donating time at the Hydro and Raceboat Museum and it was 5 awkward minutes or less , and they build it in a couple weeks.
                If you don’t have a club near you then measure away and contact which brand you decide or both , and get quote.
                I think my shorts flashed with used pants a couple times but luckily I was usually fighting for last.🤡
                As a good painter once told me “ control as many things as you can”.
                Tim M
                43-R

Comment

Working...
                X