Sit in boats....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit in boats....

Since I have decided to put my racing dreams on hold, I still have an interest in the technical side of these boats. Building a hydro still intrigues me even if just for playing around as a lake boat. I am wondering if anyone has tried to build a sit in version of a kneeler.....? I'm not talking about 500-1100cc, I am talking about the smaller classes. I am also not talking about enclosed cockpit but a sit in with an open cockpit.......

Interesting concept, however in the smaller classes being able to move and keep the boat flying at the proper attitude is very critical, sitting would almost certainly eliminate that, in my opinion. I'll like others to weigh in on this also.

Comment

• rumleyfips
      rumleyfips commented
      Editing a comment
      Drivers don't move much in laydown hydros and they turn just fine. Hoe does that work ?

• baries
      baries commented
      Editing a comment
      The majority of laydown hydros are PRO boats and are running what is refereed to as the "euro" style boat, nothing really new Ron Jones and Ed Carlson did this design 40 + years ago. Design utilizes air pressure differential to make boat work, lower center of gravity, much more power also. Faster you go into corner, better it turns.

I tend to agree with Baries, especially in the smaller displacement classes. In addition, you would have to sit cross legged because you would NOT want your legs in front of you crossing under steering cable, as most boats are designed. Cross legged sitting would not allow you to move much, would likely be very uncomfortable and might require the cockpit to be even wider, depending upon your size. Some of this has resulted in the "lay down" format we see these days in the MOD and PRO categories.

Comment

If your looking to sit down, take a look at one of these. http://www.dillon-racing.com/index-m.htm You could build it yourself as I believe he sells plans and you have either a tunnel design or a deep V design to choose from. Would be fun on a lake or river and would handle those water conditions.
      Joe Silvestri
      CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
      JH/JR

Comment

I too wonder how the laydown boats and the cockpit boats seem to run well with little to no driver movement. If it is just a matter of boat size than maybe you build a bigger boat. However my personal idea is to install a sliding seat rig exactly like rowers use in their racing shells only slightly modified for outboard racing. Since to be able to use a sliding seat the rower has to both slide backwards and forwards. To slide back forward their feet are tied into a set of shoes that are bolted to the foot plate. Obviously you can't tie yourself into a hydro in case you flip or roll you will need to exit the boat. So what I would do is arrange bungee cords to the seat to basically hold it in the forward position. After coming out of a turn you push against the foot plate to move your body towards the rear of the boat. When heading into a turn you allow the seat to slide forward and you can adjust anywhere in between simply by pushing against the foot plate. Everything on the boat stays the same.

Comment

This is what a sliding seat looks like. This was a boat that broke in half at the cockpit. My brother and I straightened it, re-aligned the boat then tore out all the carbon and re-skinned the honeycomb core with new carbon fiber and other then stiffened the bottom. This is the finished repair.

Comment

There used to be a set of rules that covered the sit down cockpit style Stock Outboards. Tilt was allowed as i recall. At max up tilt the height restriction of the class would be enforced. There was an ASH built in the 90's if memory serves..I've tried to lookup details on it, but haven't found anything...I'm sure there are people on the site that remember it adn could probably give more details as good and bads of the hull...
            ----
            Graham18ce
            Team Canada ThunderCat
            Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
            Twitter @FralickRacing
            Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Graham 18ce View Post
              There used to be a set of rules that covered the sit down cockpit style Stock Outboards. Tilt was allowed as i recall. At max up tilt the height restriction of the class would be enforced. There was an ASH built in the 90's if memory serves..I've tried to lookup details on it, but haven't found anything...I'm sure there are people on the site that remember it adn could probably give more details as good and bads of the hull...
              Dad built the boat and sent it out to Rusty and Joey Ray in Washington.
              Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

See i thought he was involved but i couldn't remember...

Originally posted by Dew1us View Post
                Dad built the boat and sent it out to Rusty and Joey Ray in Washington.
                ----
                Graham18ce
                Team Canada ThunderCat
                Twitter @FralickRacing
                Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXAS HYDROSPORT WRANGLER 01.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	468065

its my understanding there was a class of Fiberglass sitdown tunnel hull boats in Texas and they may have run Y102's some time ago.

anyone know anything about this?
                  Last edited by MadProps; 12-11-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

There is a gentlemen named Charles Large that lives down in MX that owns a set of molds for a boat just like shown above. I have talked to him a time or two on FB and I believe he got the molds from somewhere down here in TX. I believe he has the molds in MX with him now.

This is a picture of a boat pulled from those molds.

RobClick image for larger version

Name:	26937404_10156352726504384_1355785582_o.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	468068

Comment

PERFECT, thanks
                      I have been told for a couple years by many people (in the know) that this wont work, no way it can get on plane with a small prop race motor, Ive kept digging for info as I didnt believe it. now that I have both the hull and motor and see for a fact its already been done I will go ahead with setup and see if it will make me happy

thanks again, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Graham 18ce View Post
                        Leigh Furnal built a sit down ASH for Rusty Rae’s son Joe to run. That is the boat I’m sure you are thinking about.
                        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

Leigh Furnal built a sit down ASH for Rusty Rae’s son Joe to run. That is the boat I’m sure you are thinking about.

Anyone have a picture of that boat? I'd like to see it!
                          Joe Silvestri
                          CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                          JH/JR

Comment

Originally posted by jsilvestri View Post

Anyone have a picture of that boat? I'd like to see it!
                            my brother does - if i get it from him i will post...i don't think i ever saw it back in the day...i do remember lots of talk about it..

----
                            Graham18ce
                            Team Canada ThunderCat
                            Twitter @FralickRacing
                            Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

• laddies
                              laddies commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Dale Ropp built a D runabout that ran very well in the Marathon Nationals for a couple of years, don't know what happened to it.
                          Working...
                          X