Applying Epoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Epoxy

I just made my first Runabout repair using Total Boat epoxy. I noticed after a few minutes the bristles started coming out of the brush. What do most people use for applying epoxy? How do I keep the bristles from coming out ?

do not use a cheap chip brush - I use a plastic spreader or a foam roller made for epoxy= you can cut the roller cover into strips and make a "brush out of it " West system has a 2 pack of covers.

Comment

By me the Benjamin Moore paint stores have the black foam rollers at a fraction of the cost of the West ones.

Steve

Comment

I tend to avoid the horse hair brushes because the hairs pull out. Find the super cheap 1" polyester bristle brushes for small areas. Medium areas I pour it in a line and spread it with an old hotel room key (always wear gloves). For larger areas get a cheap bondo spreader and do the same. The squeegee application for initial wetting spreads the most even amount out for me. For finish coat I use the tropical or UV hardener and a throw away foam roller. You can also use a foam brush to smooth out.

​Brushes and rollers are throw away. Room keys or bondo spreaders can be cleaned easily with lacquer thinner on a rag.

Comment

I use 3/16" thick yellow x 8" foam roller available at Home Depot or Lowes $3. For big areas 8" for smaller I cut in 1/2. I tip off with a foam brush 4" for large areas and less for small areas. With a roll and tip method I can do 30 sf in less than 2 min. Unset Epoxy cleans up with white vinegar less harmful to skin. Foam rollers and foam brushes are throw away.
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Best spreader is plastic playing cards, you get 52 of them for $5.00. Yes I'm frugal. That is polite for cheap.

Comment

• Shane_B
              Shane_B commented
              Editing a comment
              Or old credit cards... even cheaper.
          Working...
          X