Konny 48mm Carbs CFM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konny 48mm Carbs CFM

Does anyone know what the flow rate for 48mm Konny/Konig carbs is?
    -Nick Hooten

yea ,a whole bunch!

Comment

Mikuni HSR 48 flows 270 CFM to give you an idea where it is around. You could have it flow benched if you need an exact number.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        What pressure differential do they test at and I assume a standard temp or a correction is made?

• deeougee
        deeougee commented
        Editing a comment
        Usually at 25 or 28 inches. It will be specified on the readout you get back.

All kidding aside Nick, I tested these back in the eighties, and they flowed in the 300 cfm range. A Konig carb will outflow anythingout there. At the time, the 34 mm Fa carbs would out flow a 38 to 40 mm Mukuni on any given day. They are great carbs and simple. Steve

Comment

Flow depends on the carb, flatslide versus roundslide, taper bored, manufacturer, etc. More to it than just flat out flow also. Depends on the engine build. In some cases velocity may be what you are seeking, so a smaller carb may work better. Matching the carb to the cfm of the head and cylinders is just as important.

Comment

Back in the 1980's we ran one of those 48 ci. Konigs in "F" Hydro and Runabout. It had 40 mm carbs on it and it really performed great. It had so much low end we never had to slide the pipes, just wired them up all the way. We were concerned when we bought it but were told the smaller carbs will produce higher velocities of the income fuel charge and will supply all the fuel the engine can take. We had a set of the 48's but never tried them, had no reason to. I always wondered what what would have happened if we did use the bigger carbs and slide the pipes. This rig took a second in the 1987 Nationals in 1100 Hydro. In one heat the wire holding the pipes up broke and they came off the headers. Always wondered what would have happened if the wire did not break. The engine was sold and wound up in the West Coast. Heard something that it was to be used for a kilo record.

Comment

Originally posted by win-or-flip View Post
            Does anyone know what the flow rate for 48mm Konny/Konig carbs is?
            Nick,
            If you are running a 500 or 700 Konny/Konig run the 48mm Konig carbs! There are several reasons why to do this and not spend any time with other carbs. You can PM me if you want more info.

Comment

I appreciate all of the input. I am concerned with the velocity on the 48mm carbs. I'm gonna stick with what I have for now but there may be some experiments in the future.
              -Nick Hooten

Comment

Working...
              X