Weighing boat at inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighing boat at inspection

At inspection should the boat be weighed is it is with water in it as it was pulled out of the water on the cart or then drained before weighing? It would be easy to pull a plug to let water in and replacing the plug when jockeying the boat on the cart to meet minimum weight. I seem to remember that many years ago we were required to drain our boats before weighing in.

In NBRA the plugs are pulled on the scale
    Keith Kampen

Comment

APBA plugs pulled before weight taken. Some would jump in the water to get real wet ;-)
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

I have seen one of the "I just fell in" drivers asked to wait for their cut suit to dry some before weighing. Some cheating is pretty obvious.....

Comment

Clearly the plugs should be pulled at or before the scale. As an inspector years ago I always required this but today it is often not done. Surprising.

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
            Matt Dagostino commented
            Editing a comment
            Most modern boats have duck bill drains or Korbus 'Balls Out drains so no need to pull plugs. I haven't seen a plug pulled at a National or Divisional in decades....

I would wear hip boots and fill them up!!!!!!!!!!
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Just have one of your crew members put a thumb on the corner of the boat out of view of the inspector. Be sure to keep a steady hand so the scale doesn't jump
            -Nick Hooten

Comment

Originally posted by win-or-flip View Post
              Just have one of your crew members put a thumb on the corner of the boat out of view of the inspector. Be sure to keep a steady hand so the scale doesn't jump
              That works too.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Are there that many cheaters??? Does not sound like a good family sport to teach new ones getting in. Have to cheat to win??? Never liked weights, one more way to complicate a race day. Was great when the 750 mods did away with it. The one that proposed the weights don't run the class anymore. I am just rambling on, my opinion, don't mean anything

Comment

• racingfan1
                  racingfan1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Years ago I had an electrical contractor friend who won a trip to Talledaga when Square D sponsored a NASCAR Cup car. The trip included a stay in the pits for the weekend and while talking to the crew chief , I wont name him , he told my friend that everybody cheats a little bit down here , it is just a matter of how far you are willing to massage the rules.

I got caught doing the thumb on the boat thing at Whitney Point one time and was ask/directed to depart the scene. Jack

Comment

• Big Don
                  Big Don commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jack, I do recall that. Surprised you would openly bring it up again.

• fbref5269
                  fbref5269 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  not jack stotts

What year did they stop weighing the Alky/PRO classes?

Comment

Originally posted by racingfan1 View Post
                  What year did they stop weighing the Alky/PRO classes?
                  Early 70's as I remember. NOA was first, then APBA followed. In 1970 I had to make weight at a race in Memphis but I don't recall if it was NOA or APBA, NOA I think.

Comment

I was an eagle not an angel. Jack

Comment

I guess my question is: What is APBA's official stand on weighing a boat at inspection "With water or without water?"

Comment

No water. I'd think that if you were that close, an inspector would make sure there was no water duckbills or not.....

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X