Weighing boat at inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeaBat View Post
    I guess my question is: What is APBA's official stand on weighing a boat at inspection "With water or without water?"
    ​without, of course!! Most leave their plugs in, that I have seen, but if the weight is that close, the inspector WILL make you pull the plugs...............the minimum weight is DRY weight.................including your race gear!!

​I remember a LONG time ago I was being weighed in CSH and I was so close (my Kevlar was wet too), that the inspector made me sit and dry off some.............still passed inspection, but was really close................don't have that "weight" problem now.............I am too fat!! LOL
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
      GrandpaRacer commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree, weight directly affects speed and less weight is faster. Adding water to make weight after a race is too easy, so it must be empty if close at all. I am sure every trick in the book has been tried on this one.

Years ago Don Sr bought a used DSH, when we got it home we found a small cork in the back transom area that was about 10 inches up on the back of the transom. Only thing we could think it was for was to fill the transom with water as there was a hollowed out false back. If I remember correctly it held about a gallon of water. You must have had to turn the boat upside down to drain it because it had no lower drain hole. He closed it off with a piece of wood.
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
      Years ago Don Sr bought a used DSH, when we got it home we found a small cork in the back transom area that was about 10 inches up on the back of the transom. Only thing we could think it was for was to fill the transom with water as there was a hollowed out false back. If I remember correctly it held about a gallon of water. You must have had to turn the boat upside down to drain it because it had no lower drain hole. He closed it off with a piece of wood.
      Don, who did he buy it from???!!!
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Big Don
        Big Don commented
        Editing a comment
        My memory is not that good.

I never liked weighing my ASR every day, so if I won I usually added 5 lb the next week just to be safe. Every once and a while I asked the inspector to weigh it out rather than just judge under or over. Maybe it was not nice of me, but it demoralized the competition when I won and was 20 lb over. It didn't slow me down enough to care.

Comment

Originally posted by rumleyfips View Post
        I never liked weighing my ASR every day, so if I won I usually added 5 lb the next week just to be safe. Every once and a while I asked the inspector to weigh it out rather than just judge under or over. Maybe it was not nice of me, but it demoralized the competition when I won and was 20 lb over. It didn't slow me down enough to care.
        Cool.............
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Back in the day there might have been some boats built in Ct. that had water tanks built into them.....

There was also a welder that built some BIG fuel tanks that fit under the decks. 1 gallon for the first heat, then dump in 5 gallons for the second heat.

Comment

Lead, I know lead. I probably have 350lbs in the back of my trailer and if I'm running all my classes, I pretty much use every piece.

In the Karelson DSH I have, Ed built water tanks accessed from the deck and labeled as "holding tanks". There is a pair on each side that hold about a gallon each. They work great, but when I started to race it again, the inspectors asked me not to use the tanks - too many toos to conquer. So now I just run a 40lb battery and a starter to go with the lead.

On all my boats, I've installed the auto-drains that Tietze builds and it sure makes it easy. Yet a word to the wise, even when my boat is dry, find yourself scarce when I need a lift for the scales...
            http://vitalire.com/

Comment

I knew of a racer that had 2 helmets. One he wore the other was with lead inside under the cushion to the head part. Seen many bicycle tubes filled with sand and patched added to seal it then nicely added to the boat inside the padding on the gun wall when putting boat on the dolly. For me I was like Guedo add it and look for big guys to lift my DMR but that was 85 or 86

Comment

Working...
              X