Manuals or instructions on this gearcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuals or instructions on this gearcase

I've just purchased this gearcase and ran it and it is getting water into the oil , does anyone have a manual or a parts diagram so I can give it a rebuild , im in Australia also ,secondly in the interim what gear oil can I use which doesn't thicken with water and agitation from the gears ,the oil I'm using at present is ANGLOMOIL 100% synthetic , grade is sae90 thanks for your help Graham

If the case is not cracked, then the seals are leaking. The prop shaft is removed by taking the cone off. The cone is threaded into the case with a left handed thread. You will need to make a special wrench to remove the cone. The wrench should be made like this: to a steel ring a little bigger than the outside of the cone - weld 4 square bars to the inside of the ring to match the grooves on the cone - weld a steel handle to the ring about 24" long.

​Clamp lower unit in a vise, place wrench over cone and turn clockwise to loosen.

​Nock out prop shaft seals and replace.

​Don't run lower unit with oil/water!

​Gear is located on driveshaft with a square section and held in place with a nut

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        I ran 2 0f these in the 1970s and '80s under my Quincy Z250. The units are robust, but maybe slightly slower than the later split-case gearcases .. . . not entirely sure of that because I never had the opportunity to make a back-to-back test. But if Yamato replaced these gearcases wholesale with the later split-case units, they must've thought the later units were better somehow

Do what Kurps recommends above. I always ran OMC hypoid.80-90 oil in my units and never had a failure. I'd drain and replace the oil after every race. Some even better high-pressure lubes are now available.

Thanks for the info , any chance of a were I may find a spare parts manual ,and I'll replace the seals this week .👍

Comment

Working...
      X