Repairing air trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing air trap

During a drive at the fun run late last year I managed to catch one of my air traps on the edge of a rock and cracked/buckled about the last foot or so of it on the back end of the boat. I need to use some filler in the epoxy to make it thick enough to shape, but also need it to be strong. Looking at the various fillers West Systems has, which would you choose? I'm thinking the 404 high density, or maybe even the 403 microfiber?
    Dane Lance
    700-P
    CSH/500Mod

I would use the resin with the colloidal silica thickener 406.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
      I would use the resin with the colloidal silica thickener 406.
      And, also use the chopped fiberglass fiber filler..... I think it is #402. It will give the bond more strength.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Good tip, nice to know. How is it when fairing after curing, do glass fibers tend to poke out and be fuzz?

You have to remember that the epoxy is stronger than wood so most any filler other than low-density, easily sanded stuff works. I use cotton lint from the clothes dryer filter and/or fine sawdust like the dust from a sander filter as well as the higher density West fillers and fibers.

Comment

I used the wood dust from my sander to fill holes when when I moved the steering forward and had to fill the holes from where the coaming pulleys used to be. Would that be strong enough (I have plenty of of the sander dust!).
        Dane Lance
        700-P
        CSH/500Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Ram4x4 View Post
          I used the wood dust from my sander to fill holes when when I moved the steering forward and had to fill the holes from where the coaming pulleys used to be. Would that be strong enough (I have plenty of of the sander dust!).
          No, not strong enough. For those kind of holes I bond in wood dowls with the epoxy adhesive. Have the dowels protrude from the cock pit sides and after it is cured cut off the excess with a Japanese cut off saw.

Also, to ZUL8TR, the fibers will not stick out, they do sand smooth. You can use a Dremel sander or the small diameter disk sanders. And if you sand off too much, you can add more epoxy with the fibers.
          Last edited by DeanFHobart; 02-26-2017, 11:35 AM.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

I already filled the holes on the steering move, I used the wood dust for that just to make the epoxy stiff enough not to run out. It works plenty good for that as those are tiny holes and not structural.

I'm looking for which filler to use to fix my air trap...that is structural and needs strength.
            Dane Lance
            700-P
            CSH/500Mod

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              You already asked this and we answered you above?

• Ram4x4
              Ram4x4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Right, but it seemed Dean thought I was asking about filling some holes, just wanted to clarify.

West System 403 and 406 work well.

Comment

I used the403 the most but do have the 404 and 406. Google west system they have a chart to use as a guideline.

Comment

Working...
              X