"A" Hemp Transom/Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A" Hemp Transom/Frame

Does any one have a drawing/sketch with dimensions of the "A" Hemp transom with the attached frame? Our Hemp transom area has suffered extensive Dry rot. I could wing it, but this would give me a leg up and take some of the guess work out of it.
    Bill-The Wood Butcher

I've replaced the transom on boats before, last one was a 20/C hydro. Just trace the existing one to give you a template before you cut the old one out. You will also need to measure the existing angle to cut the top and bottom to fit the new piece in. You can replace pieces of stringer at the same time. I have pics I can send you of it being done if you need an idea of what it looks like. Shouldn't take you more than 2-3 days. Give me an email if you would like pics. Helpful tools for the job; dremel, oscillating saw and patients. Epoxy with filler is made to fill gaps so you don't have to be perfect. In my opinion your better off fixing your existing boat versus buying another one, especially if everything else is good. If you still have any wood left on the transom, there is a product out there that will penetrate dry rotted wood and turn it basically into petrified wood. That could possibly get you through the rest of the season. A lot of people use that product on camper trailer floors instead of tearing it apart and replacing the wood floor. I'd have to look it up, can't think of it off the top of my head.

Comment

• SeaBat
      SeaBat commented
      Editing a comment
      The lower 1/3 of transom and majority of the frame are crumbs. It was a shock. Had no clue of the internal damage until the last race. The transom is the easy part compared to the frame piece with the angles and stringer cutouts. I'm going to have to custom fit a replacement frame. Any pics would be extremely helpful.
      Bill Thomas
      classicmustangshop@yahoo.com

• Shane_B
      Shane_B commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill - sent you some Hemp ASH transom build pics to the above email address...
      Last edited by Shane_B; 08-29-2016, 10:07 AM.

That wood petrifier product is called PC Wood Petrifier Hardener

Comment

​A J/A hydro transom assembly does not have any complex angles. Her are a couple pics to show you what is inside and how it goes together.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        I also have a problem with opening the pics

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        Nor could I.

• Matt Dagostino
        Matt Dagostino commented
        Editing a comment
        Me either........

Bill - see your in box at classicmustangshop@yahoo.com ... sent some pics, hopefully they got there.

Shane

Comment

They are open when I use my computer but won't open on my phone either- maybe too large? Will try smaller

Comment

• Shane_B
          Shane_B commented
          Editing a comment
          Two pics now viewable...

Will try a couple more.

Comment

• SeaBat
          SeaBat commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for taking the time to send me the photos. I built this from a Hemp kit some years ago and I know I have a disc somewhere. The pics look familiar. Are the plans now available from Hemp for "A"?

Sorry, but didn't see I had any PMs until now. I don't have any plans but do the kits because they are always up to date with the changes we make. Yes, those pics were off the A directions. If you've got the boat for dimensions, it should be fairly easy for you to figure out the inner parts. I will send you a new disc if you want for complete pics and building sequence.

Sam Hemp
        hydroplay@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by deeougee View Post
          I've replaced the transom on boats before, last one was a 20/C hydro. Just trace the existing one to give you a template before you cut the old one out. You will also need to measure the existing angle to cut the top and bottom to fit the new piece in. You can replace pieces of stringer at the same time. I have pics I can send you of it being done if you need an idea of what it looks like. Shouldn't take you more than 2-3 days. Give me an email if you would like pics. Helpful tools for the job; dremel, oscillating saw and patients. Epoxy with filler is made to fill gaps so you don't have to be perfect. In my opinion your better off fixing your existing boat versus buying another one, especially if everything else is good. If you still have any wood left on the transom, there is a product out there that will penetrate dry rotted wood and turn it basically into petrified wood. That could possibly get you through the rest of the season. A lot of people use that product on camper trailer floors instead of tearing it apart and replacing the wood floor. I'd have to look it up, can't think of it off the top of my head.

It is called: GIT ROT at West Marine

Comment

Working...
          X