No announcement yet.

Yamato points ign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally raced the 102 with Nova II ingnition modules again. The first heat all went well and we finished mid pack. This test engine is nothing special so that is what we expected. In the next heat one of the Novas failed and we lost a cylinder. I did not bring a spare with me so the 102 was put back in the trailer. One surprise to me was when I got back in my shop, the replacement Nova was bigger than the original ones I bought. They look the same except the word Nova is no longer on the top and it is bigger. This raises multiple questions, did I really get Novas or a cheap copy? Is the new size an upgrade to improve cooling and reliability? My failed unit was mounted outside the flywheel so it should have cooled well. Any others have results?

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      These days it's hard to know what you get and where it's made?

On the Y80 I also mounted the Novas on the outside for good ventilation and easy change. When I timed the Y80 with the Novas I noticed that I had raise rpm (about 3000) to build a constant reading with the timing marks. Once set the reading was different at low rpm? Must be related to a primary voltage change at lower revs that the Novas use to trigger the spark?

Did you notice that with the light when you timed your 102?

Will run the engine on the boat and see what happens.

I timed mine with a dewald drill spinning it over. The first version that we made had y80 coils installed in a 102. With these primary coils I did not notice variable time at low rpm but I did notice at low rpm there was a weak or no spark. I had to spin it up faster to get a spark. In this version it was hard to start, probably for the same reason. When I went back to rewound 102 coils this problem went away and I got big bright arcs. I thought this was due to better mechanical fit of the 102 coils.
    John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaRacer View Post
      I timed mine with a dewald drill spinning it over. The first version that we made had y80 coils installed in a 102. With these primary coils I did not notice variable time at low rpm but I did notice at low rpm there was a weak or no spark. I had to spin it up faster to get a spark. In this version it was hard to start, probably for the same reason. When I went back to rewound 102 coils this problem went away and I got big bright arcs. I thought this was due to better mechanical fit of the 102 coils.
      John Adams
      Interesting. I first timed mine with a drill dead on the marks, then checked with the engine running as I described in the comment and the timing was different at the higher revs so reset it to the marks to agree with the higher revs. While running I observed the timing changing with the lower revs and reach a steady reading as the revs picked up to about 3k.

Would be interesting to know if you have the same effect happening. Until I sort this out I am going with the engine running setting. Will check again when I get the engine on the boat to run.

I have a locked mag so no chance it was moving during observations.
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
        GrandpaRacer commented
        Editing a comment
        As the rpm sped up did the timing advance? That would be the direction you would want for easy starting an smooth low speed running. I wonder if it is designed into them. I will have to check the timing vs RPM. I did not do this, just assumed it did not change.

• ZUL8TR
        ZUL8TR commented
        Editing a comment
        Update: Just checked it on the Y80 while running after setting to 0.200 from previously set yesterday running. At very low revs the timing was advanced from 0.200 to about 0.230, as engine revs increased the timing advanced more then retarded to 0.200 setting as revs reached about 3k. At higher revs it stayed at 0.200 Engine running seems to be the best consistent way to set it initially. After timing with a strobe light I placed index marks on the swing mag and the rope plate if needed to align with dial gage and no light. I think it is the Y80 flywheel magnets and mag design that generates variable primary voltage value and the Novas sense that V change with rpm and triggers at its design V, when the voltage steadies out at about 3k the timing is dead on. I think the small advance at rope over is not a concern to start and at high revs it is where you want it. I will run the engine on the hydro and see what results on the water.

Hope the Novas run well and last or else the NOS points I have and condensers go back in.

PS: My rope plate is not a tight fit on the crank, it has a little CW & CCW movement. Didn't matter with points but with the Novas need to set the plate the same way when tightening the bolt so the timing marks are as originally marked. I set the slack CW in direction of rope over. Can always check marks with dial gage.

The 102 ignition may react different?

I bought the Nova II's from Rugged Outdoor Products on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-NOVA-I...item3f2c081a24

BTW, I went to ebay and searched for Nova II ignition modules and two similar looking parts came up for the same price. One say Nova II on the part the other does not. In the text the other is said to be a Megafire II Ignition Module! So I now have both, I need to do some work to determine if they time the same and other wise are the same. I doubt it! The plot thickens...

Comment

Working...
    X