No announcement yet.

Yamato points ign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda wonder if these even need to be in the mag or could they just mount external with + wire to + side of coil and a ground ?
    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-20-2017, 07:22 AM.
    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
      GrandpaRacer commented
      Editing a comment
      I put them outside.

Guess dis answers dat ! >> http://vkakarting.com/replacing-poin...nition-module/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RI05TUSVs

http://bigcooter.com/wp-content/uplo...rections_1.jpg

I like his "Test tank" > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md-6H0rfEeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcNepFHUMGI
    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-21-2017, 02:48 AM.
    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

Comment

Also note in comments below vid > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RI05TUSVs

poulan Piper1 year ago
      just installed one on my homelite xl 12 chainsaw it ran fine for 10 minutes than quit. The module burned out. I must have got a dud.
      Read more
      Show less

Reply1

ZippoVarga1 year ago
      +Matthew Piper It needs to be mounted in an area where it won't overheat. Which brand did you purchase? The Stens and Nova II are the most reliable. When you mount it, be sure it's where there is plenty of airflow over the module, but out of harms way of the flywheel. Best of luck! Cheers!! Zip~

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaRacer View Post
        Here are Y80 coils mounted in a 102 with a mounting plate. The Nova IIs installed (the condenser can be removed). And the secondary coils mounted out side.
        John Adams
        John

How are the Nova's in the 102 working out any issues, how much time on them?

Pete
        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
          GrandpaRacer commented
          Editing a comment
          Am at the Nationals so been off line a bit. The 80 coils work but do not fit as tight to the flywheel as the original 102 coils. This gave a weaker spark and hard starting. So we tried rewinding the primary wires only on the 102 coils and that worked real well with the external coils providing the secondary. There is another post somewhere on HR about this.
          The Nova II have been reliable while in my shop but we have been racing our 302s. We may run the 102s at Lawrence this Fall and will let you know if we have any issues.
          John Adams
          Last edited by GrandpaRacer; 07-28-2017, 03:24 AM.

• ZUL8TR
          ZUL8TR commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the update, future update with the Nova II appreciated.

This seems too good to be true- and an answer to a prayer. The guy I bought my 80 from installed nova II modules in his 102 & it was perfect.
        I am ordering a set today; approx. $30 shipped. We shall see...
        522-P

Comment

Comment

speededemon you are a genius
            or at least smarter than the avg bear
            Many thanks for an approach I never would have thought of
            As soon as I saw this I could hear my wallet quietly moaning in dispair
            522-P

Comment

Grandpa Racer
              Are you running a three wire kill switch for the nova II modules?
              One wire each to a positive terminal on the module(s)
              Then up to one terminal each on the hot side of the kill switch
              Then a third wire from the ground side of the kill switch back to a ground lug on the motor?
              Thanks Ron for pioneering this concept
              These will be going in a Y80 BTW
              Thanks again
              522-P

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelboydeluxe View Post
                speededemon you are a genius
                or at least smarter than the avg bear
                Many thanks for an approach I never would have thought of
                As soon as I saw this I could hear my wallet quietly moaning in dispair
                522-P
                Have you installed the Nova II in the Y80 and test run it?
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaRacer View Post
                  Here are Y80 coils mounted in a 102 with a mounting plate. The Nova IIs installed (the condenser can be removed). And the secondary coils mounted out side.
                  John Adams
                  John

All the places that sell The NOVA II state not for magnetos with multiple magnets on the flywheel. Some say for 1 cylinder engines only. Was that a problem with the 102 and potentially same for Y80?

I assume this is what you used? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVA-II-8786...0AAOSwWKtUvoIP

It states in the details:

THE NOVA MODULE IS SUITABLE FOR 2 AND 3 LEG IGNITION COILS IN SINGLE CYLINDER ENGINES. THIS MODULE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON ENGINES EQUIPPED WITH BATTERY IGNITION OR FLYWHEELS WITH MULTIPLE MAGNETS.

Pete

Comment

zul8tr
                    Yes- they are the ones I bought
                    I did not see the part about "Not for mags w/ multiple magnets on the flywheel"
                    OOPS
                    Fishinworm installed them on one of his 102's & it ran fine
                    I did not put mine in yet
                    Stay tuned
                    522=P

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                      ZUL8TR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just ordered a set for my Y80 and will also inform.

I think, but did not specifically look,that the 102 has 1 magnet. The two pick up coils are 180 degrees apart and each act with that one magnet as if it was a single cylinder. So we have two singles running with one magnet, each Nova working independently. Anyway, they are right in that 1 Nova is for 1 cylinder, so you need 2 in our case. It works.
                    John Adams

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                      ZUL8TR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Humm! The Y80 has 2 magnets close together with a gap on one side of the flywheel and a counter balance on opposite side. Hope it works on the 80?

uh oh

Comment

FYI pic of a Y80 flywheel. I was wrong there are multiple magnets. Not sure what effect this will have on NOVA II chip. I could not find a pic of the 102 flywheel to compare differences.

http://stores.outboardparadise.com/yamato-80-flywheel/

I will install the NOVA II's in the Y80 and report what happens. Hope for the best, if a bust I have a Yamato NOS set of points that will be used.

Comment

Just finished the install of the Nova's on the Y80. Timed it with an inductive 12v light and checked both cylinders and they both hit the same timing mark I made with a dial indicator, no timing flutter that the points would have. Only have done a on land start and it runs well and starts easy with no apparent issues. Need to do a hydro water run in future for the real test.

Note on install. Manufacturer recommends that the Nova chips be installed in a well ventilated cool place to prevent heat soak. I chose to mount the 2 Nova's outside both on a single alum bracket that I attached to the left side (looking rear at carb) on one of the carb manifold bolts so that there was no interference with OEM spray shield that covered the Nova's. Each Nova (-) ground wire was grounded to the bracket. Then ran both Nova (+) wires under the timing arm up through one of the 2 threaded holes left over when I converted to a locked mag system, then up and out thru the hole where the secondary coil red and black wires exit that are under the top cover plate that is below the rope over plate. As John Adams did I used an old set of points with the movable point arm removed to mount all the wires on the vertical tab: (+) from Nova, black from primary coil and red or black from the secondary coils.

Still need to figure what to do to get the safety kill to work. Presently have the 2 wire kill system that worked for the Y80 points and also for my Merc 25ss CD ignition. I can only get 1 cylinder to die when set up as a simple loop to ground, obviously not good. Is there a way to wire the 2 wire system to work? Or will the 3 wire kill system as used on the 302 be needed? And will the 3 wire also work on my 25ss CD system which I run on the same boat?

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                          GrandpaRacer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I used a 3 wire system. If you do that and make the ground terminal the odd one on the connector you will be able to plug the 25ss two wire into the same connector.

• ZUL8TR
                          ZUL8TR commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's what I need to know

Thanks
                      Working...
                      X