Yamato points ign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato points ign

Did I hear a rumour that a electronic ign kit is now available, such as for a 102 ?

Glen; -must be, as was approved at the Annual Meeting, for Y80 & 102.
    Maybe APBA web site lists the source ?
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Originally posted by glen wesanko View Post
      Did I hear a rumour that a electronic ign kit is now available, such as for a 102 ?
      ​Glen, yes, there is a kit........developed by Reg10's Adams family.............available from TJ..............give him a call....
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I'd like to try this system out. Who do I call?Thank you.
        -Nick Hooten

Comment

Originally posted by win-or-flip View Post
          I'd like to try this system out. Who do I call?Thank you.
          Call Tom Johnston.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Received info from Tom on the electronic ignition. There are 2 units and each unit replaces the point and condenser on the mag plate using same threaded holes. The point cam is not used except as a spacer for the rope plate. Engine timed with a light.

Here is Tom's email for further info:

tjohnston15m@live.com
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

By the way, if your 102 coils are good (which are the weak part of the stock ignition), you can just replace the points with Nova II points replacements. Find them on eBay cheap. After doing so you need to time the 102 with a timing light. The bigger job is replacing the coils when they go bad.
              John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by bh/ View Post
                Glen; -must be, as was approved at the Annual Meeting, for Y80 & 102.
                Maybe APBA web site lists the source ?
                For those interested here are the minutes approving the use of the Nova II electronic module for the Y102, see top of page 18. The minutes do not specifically state that the Nova II was approved for the Y80 but that any coil can be used in the 102 and that would include the Y80 coil with an adapter:

https://www.apba.org/sites/all/files...nutes-2016.pdf

However in the SO tech manual under the 20ss Class, Rule 30 page 36 for the Y80 allows any coil and the points to be replaced (condenser not noted which also has to go?) with an electronic point replacement module, "Such As" the Nova II. Rule 19 page 76 for the 102 to reads to "use" the Nova II. Needs to be clarified:

http://www.apba.org/sites/all/files/...204-7-16_0.pdf
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                  ZUL8TR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The 2017 inspection manual has different pages for above rules but they are the same.

I would love to see a picture of this new ignition system. I talked to TJ and he has yet to put one together. why would we approve something that seems difficult to install or see it"s modification. . So many 102 engines could benefit from this. someone post a pic of it.
                mike ross

Comment

Like Mike,I too called TJ.He said he does not have this ignition system available.Yes,someone please post a picture.

Comment

Here are Y80 coils mounted in a 102 with a mounting plate. The Nova IIs installed (the condenser can be removed). And the secondary coils mounted out side.
                    John Adams

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                      ZUL8TR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      condensers left in but are disconnected, Y80 coils external.
                      If Nova's installed in a Y80 can the primary and secondary coils be left where they are?.
                      Is that a BTM pressure fuel system? Any issues?

• GrandpaRacer
                      GrandpaRacer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      BTM fuel system works fine.I have not done that to an 80 but see no reason why it would not work. Take the points out and put the Nova II in place... and time with a timing light. We ran with the condensers in place and with out. I could not tell a difference.

Is anyone producing this system for sale?If so,where do we buy them?

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                      GrandpaRacer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I bought my coils from TJ, Nova IIs on eBay and made the rest.

Originally posted by GrandpaRacer View Post
                    Here are Y80 coils mounted in a 102 with a mounting plate. The Nova IIs installed (the condenser can be removed). And the secondary coils mounted out side.
                    John Adams
                    John

I have read that Nova II's in some mag ignitions have reduced spark at rope over rpms but work fine once engine starts. In your case the when Nova's were installed in Y80 and engine timed did you have any difficulty in starting due with prop in or out of the water due to low rope over rpms

Thanks Pete

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                      GrandpaRacer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have not done this to a Y80, however I have noticed that the 102 conversion to Y80 coils is sensitive to rpm. The spark weakens at low rpm. You can test easily using a variable speed drill. In another thread I posted that rewired 102coils worked much better in the 102.
                      John Adams

Just trying to understand with "My Pee-Brain" (Charlie Fry quote) the Nova-ii and what tells it to fire the coils at the exact timing each rotation ?........ Looked at a set of early pick-ups (Red color, forget the brand) several years ago at a lawn mower shop to replace the points and the mechanic said to just drop them in and forget them...... Timing probably fine in a Briggs motor but did not see how they would fire at same BTDC each rotation....He told me the charge builds in the coils and the conversion just triggers them the same each time....... Without a trigger rotor ?.... Any rocket tuners who can explain at my level ?.......I guess a timing light and test wheel should answer my ?'s...Do you set a wire pointer and make some marks on rope plate and check timing with the points and a timing light first and then compare with conversion ?...I have a Yamatoe with points ...Also looking at Mike 41P's 20H to OMC mag conversion..... Looked at the red triggers several years ago for my A-MOD 20H's Phelon mags and the scintilla KG-7 mags and dismissed because I could not understand how the timing would be consistent at varied RPM..... Maybe My "Pee Brain" is over cyphering and I just need to drop them in.
                    Thanks in advance / No timing light used on that !
                    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-22-2017, 04:12 AM.
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
                      GrandpaRacer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When the magnet goes by the coil it creates a surge of current in the coil. That current has a predictable shape to it and is the same shape each time. The Nova type sensors trigger off some particular characteristic of that shape (I don't know exactly what they use) so it is the same each time. You have to time with a timing light, yes. To get the right spot you had before mark TDC on your rope plate and then go back to your old timing point using the dial indicator for example 0.200 inches, and mark that point on the rope plate. Now you have a target for the timing light. John Adams

WOW ! .......... To the test tank, and lake !! ....... 100N >
                    Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 03-22-2017, 03:23 AM.
                    100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
                    X