Winterizing 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing 302

I am a new racer and just picked up a 302. I am looking to winterize it for storage for the colder months. I have winterized my old 2-strokes many times, but unsure if a similar procedure is needed for the Yamato - first time owning one.

I would usually fog the cylinders, lube where necessary, change gear case oil and run the fuel 100% out of it for my 2-strokes.

What do most of you do to prep your Yamato for storage? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Doing what you do already will work just fine. Probably the best thing you can do is to keep it in where it's warm and dry unlike a cold, clammy garage.

Comment

I agree with pops: store it in your den.

Comment

• runabout333
        runabout333 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is Way Too cool!!!!

Originally posted by harrisonrboyd View Post
      I am a new racer and just picked up a 302. I am looking to winterize it for storage for the colder months. I have winterized my old 2-strokes many times, but unsure if a similar procedure is needed for the Yamato - first time owning one.

I would usually fog the cylinders, lube where necessary, change gear case oil and run the fuel 100% out of it for my 2-strokes.

What do most of you do to prep your Yamato for storage? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Fog, lube, gear oil, drain fuel,...and disconnect the 2 water hoses at water jacket manifold, blow air through each hole. Water in there will drain out prevent freezing & cracking jacket. Do all this, then investigate arrangements to store inside
      Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

Perfect. Thanks for the input everyone. Any suggestions on lower unit oil? Just marine grade synthetic?

Comment

• dwhitford
          dwhitford commented
          Editing a comment
          We PRO guys now use RedLine Heavy Shockproof Synthetic, available from online suppliers.

Best advice I received when I first asked about winterizing: Go Testing! Then you don't have to winterize at all...
        http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by harrisonrboyd View Post
          Perfect. Thanks for the input everyone. Any suggestions on lower unit oil? Just marine grade synthetic?

Harrison, any marine gear oil will do to displace water infused oil over winter. I can buy Amsoil gearoil at wholesale, will get you a few liters. I can also get Amsoil synth engine oil at wholesale, but break her in using TCW3 first hour.

ErikL
          Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

• dwhitford
            dwhitford commented
            Editing a comment
            Right. Regardless of temp in storage, drain all previous gear oil & replace with all new b4 winter comes, same regimen we used when storing customers' engines in the 1950s & '60s. Then you're good to go next season. If water is in your gear oil at subfreezing temps, your gearcase might split.

My previous recommendation for RedLine Heavy Shockproof Synthetic was about the best some of us know about best sustaining possible gear damage at PRO extreme RPMs.

• harrisonrboyd
            harrisonrboyd commented
            Editing a comment
            Appreciate your help Erik.

Great! Thanks for all of the advice.

Comment

Working...
          X