No announcement yet.

Merc 20H ignition update to CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Often people confuse the terms electronic ignition and CD ignition. Most of the non-digital automotive ignitions (GM's HEI, Chrysler, AMC/Prestolite, Ford Dura-Spark) were inductive types, not CD. These all have longer duration arc-over than CD offers, and are multi-strike to some extent.

The early aftermarket "transistorized" ignitions (Delta Mk 10 was a favorite for racers in the late '60s) were designed to work with points, if you find one.

I recently replaced the NLA electronic ignition on a Tecumseh 12hp flathead single in a garden tractor with a Chrysler ignition that had sat on my shelf since the mid-'70s (I'd bought two intending to adapt them to an alky motor). This was the NASCAR blue box, lah di dah! Whatever, I formed a piece of sheet steel and mounted the amplifier, ballast, and automotive coil to it, and wired it into the tractor. When I first spun the engine over with the sparkplug out and grounded, I got BIG FAT BLUE SPARKS, that you could see in broad daylight from six feet away!! Fun!

Comment

• rumleyfips
      rumleyfips commented
      Editing a comment
      One of the sites google found for me was for lawn tractor pulling. They feature some of the modules you refer to as well as wiring diagrammes and optical and proximity crank trigger sensors.

• Smitty
      Smitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Lawn tractor pulling! I gotta look for that one!

EDIT -- I just remembered to look for rumley's site . . . oh, lordy, the rest of you guys need to take a look!!!! Google "lawn tractor pulling" and click on the Images section. Mind-blowing!!
      Last edited by Smitty; 05-09-2015, 10:09 PM.
Working...
X