Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Mathematicians or Engineers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Mathematicians or Engineers out there?

Has anybody ever measured, calculated and graphed the vertical center of gravity of a typical kneel down boat?

Curious thought just crossed my mind; what is the difference between this value in a Yamato configured boat with its fuel tank in the as manufactured location as opposed to a hull mounted tank and fuel pump setup? It does not take a rocket scientist to see the a lower weight center but I would find it interesting to know how that change looks when presented in graphical form.

Yea, I know this is just stock outboard but…up early just thinking about boat performance.
    Raymond

Have you or your team set up a social network page yet? Do your part to expose and promote the sport when you’re not racing and create a presence online today.

As you probably know Horizontal CG location easy to do with balance method without and with engine and driver but vertical not easy with balance method but can be done if inventive. Spend the time testing.
    Last edited by ZUL8TR; 09-21-2014, 04:18 AM.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

The horizontal and longitudinal CGs are easy to do experimentally, and the longitudinal one is not always on center, but the vertical one is hard to do, but can be approximated, as the Coast Guard do 'tipping tests' for new vessels, and do it in the water. But what u want to know;
      - 'what effect does putting the tank down in the boat',
      -for this u do not need specific results, only relative ones. Graphically is one laborius way, but a number can be generated visually. If my values do not suit, I have not measured them, insert ones of your own;

Looking at a side view of a CSH hydro, on the water ,
      one sees four masses with differing heights of CofG, 'AWS',
      above the water surface, ie; the baseline .
      -boat, motor, driver and gas tank, H or L, [ie; hi or low ]

BOAT; 130#s, CG @ 5" ABS
      MOTOR; 80#s, CG @ 12"ABS
      DRIVER; 200#s, (males) CG @pelvis, ~14" ABS
      TANK H; 10#s, CG @24" ABS
      TANK L; 10#s, CG@ 4"ABS

Recall your 1st year Mechanics ,taking moments above the ABS;
      TANK H = 130 X 5' + 80 X 12" + 200 X 14"' + 10 X 24" =650+960+2800+240=4650
      TANK L = 130 X 5" +80 X 12' + 200 X 14" + 10 X 4" =650+960+2800+ 40=4450

Cof G of the combined 4 masses ;

TANK H; 4650/450 = 10.3"
      TANK L ; 4450/450 = 9.9"

So u have reduced the H of the CofG by 0.4", or ~4 %
      Will this have a significant effect on cornering speeds ?
      Get the fat a**ed driver layin down, much bigger effect.
      -will that be faster ?
      If so; why ?
      But, there are many more variables to contend with,
      which is why most say;
      ' f*** it '.
      Last edited by bh/; 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM. Reason: sp?
      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Working...
      X