Merc 9.9 fishing to a race-ready 15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 9.9 fishing to a race-ready 15?

Hi - just seeking input on this conversion as we seek to hit the water for the first time this year. We have a couple opportunities to pick up prepared Mercs for J racing but I was presented with an opportunity to possibly get a spare unit in the garage...

A friend has a very lightly used '04 Merc 9.9 from freshwater - long shaft - and with these 2-stroke motors disappearing in the US I was looking at whether it would be worth picking it up as an extra for use in the future, if needed. The transition from 9.9 to 15 is primarily around the carb, exhaust and gasket set. Is it problematic to convert the long-shaft to a racing gear case? I googled a bit of information on migrating the short shaft to a long but found less information about taking it the other way....understandably there is other powerhead and cooling work required before hanging it on the back of our B&H hull too...

Thanks very much for any insight/guidance on this....

-Brian

Originally posted by bmitch1 View Post
    Hi - just seeking input on this conversion as we seek to hit the water for the first time this year. We have a couple opportunities to pick up prepared Mercs for J racing but I was presented with an opportunity to possibly get a spare unit in the garage...

A friend has a very lightly used '04 Merc 9.9 from freshwater - long shaft - and with these 2-stroke motors disappearing in the US I was looking at whether it would be worth picking it up as an extra for use in the future, if needed. The transition from 9.9 to 15 is primarily around the carb, exhaust and gasket set. Is it problematic to convert the long-shaft to a racing gear case? I googled a bit of information on migrating the short shaft to a long but found less information about taking it the other way....understandably there is other powerhead and cooling work required before hanging it on the back of our B&H hull too...

Thanks very much for any insight/guidance on this....

-Brian
    Easy, just buy a short shaft exhaust housing......swap out the long shaft one....
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Hi Daren,

I was checking out parts suppliers and diagrams and noted the 9.9/15 shaft parts appear identical other than the housing and exhaust tube but I get nervous when it starts to appear too easy...lol!

Thanks,
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bmitch1 View Post
        Hi Daren,

I was checking out parts suppliers and diagrams and noted the 9.9/15 shaft parts appear identical other than the housing and exhaust tube but I get nervous when it starts to appear too easy...lol!

Thanks,
        Brian
        YEP, the 6/8/9/9/15 share pretty much all the same parts, except for block, pistons, carbs, etc........midsection is the same from 94 on up....
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

call gary pond

call gary pond

Comment

Working...
          X