55h foot on 44xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55h foot on 44xs

Did some submit the 55h gearfoot for use with the 44xs? To me this is a no brainer. If I can run a 44ci block on a 55h tower why would I not be able to put a 55h foot on an xs. I know I will have a 44xs runabout if I get to use a 55h foot.

Brian is right on this one ... the usual "must keep it simple for inspection" excuse doesn't fit here ... the 55H foot is already in the book and the inspector has to know how to recognize and measure it; even the same internals

it is not like asking to use a Konig or hatchet.

Comment

I will check the stock agenda when I get it and if its not on then I will see what the SORC thinks about this. I would think this is a make sense item. The 55H foot would need to have a different drive shaft arrangement to work Mikey
      mike ross

Comment

new vs. old??

it probably falls in the same like as why a Yamato 102 foot CANNOT be used under a Yamato 302........

allowing the use of newer parts on older equipment, but not viseversa..........
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

You can already couple them and or get a xs shaft. I think this is a 5 min item. We need to keep the xs's happy and promote growth.

Daren stay positive and good things can happen. I have not forgot about your part. I just need to drive and get it.

Comment

A Bass foot is approved on the 44XS, and two piece driveshafts are ok.

A Bass gearcase is approved on the 44XS and two piece driveshafts are approved on the 44XS. As are any manufacturers' straight cut 1:1 gears so it does make sense to allow the older Mercury D gearcase.

Actually, this motor follows the ongoing thread regarding the 25XS motor since only the gearcase is NLA which prevents building a 25XS from fishing motor parts and approved aftermarket parts (along with vendors for lower pans, cowls, decals, tower & tuner pipe, and the swivel bracket modifications)
            Last edited by 25xs; 02-21-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

In theory many of the previous posts make sense, but in actuality the 55h lower unit has superior handling characteristics over the 44XS case. Bass lower units are available for this class upon order through Bass Machine. Dave Scott sells 44 lower units and Dennis Hanson has 44XS gears available as well. The 44XS lower unit is NLA from Mercury, however it is available.

John Palmquist writing for Brian "Lefty the Gimp" Palmquist

Comment

Thanks GIMP

I was hoping this rule would get passed.
                I'd jack up my MOD 55H gear feet to 1" below the bottom and really wax some A@@

Dang.

I heard that Tail cone bearing carrier is the SAME for both new and old cases. True or false?

Comment

Fat Chance

I tried it a few times, never even got to the table. I think I spelled it out in frustration in another thread. Perhaps someone with more influence than I can get it by the Region Commisioners......

I also tried to see if they would ever allow the Hatchet foot on one... I think that got shot down before I could even finish my sentence.

Be prepared to receive some flak, and a lot of double meaning questions to try and confuse you so that your proposal does not make it. A lot of red tape and in my opinion, not worth the effort, let it die.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Racers Edge View Post
                    John Palmquist writing for Brian "Lefty the Gimp" Palmquist
                    Not to hijack this thread but hey John, how is the Gimp doing? Haven't heard any updates on the 6 dollar man lately? Can they rebuild him? Is he getting one of those eyes that can see the clock from 2 miles away?
                    Brian 10s

Comment

gear boxes

To all:
                      Here it is in a nut shell. People say the bass motor is faster and will get faster. People say the 55h gearcase is faster. I say we let it all on the race track and let the guys like me who will put a motor on the water work it out.

I do not race for money. I race as a hobby. If the 55h is faster I will trade someone for thier 44xs foot. I will take the new slower foot. I have 3 or 4 gear boxes that I will trade any time for an xs style.

I will conclude with this... I trust a rule like making the 55h foot run deeper or only 2 blade props can be used if I win the nationals next year with my 55h foot on my 44xs.

DSR 2007

9 guys and max of 2 races!

DSH 2007
                      50 guys but only 13 raced 10 races or more.
                      20 of 50 races 4 or less races that is only 2 weekends!

Thank you mike for your help. I will drive to Detroit if need a speech.

Comment

Merc with a Yamato Lower Unit

The prices for 55h and 44xs lower units have been rising to the point where it could start to push away D stock racers.

Why not allow Yamato lower units to be used? There are plenty of them around at reasonable prices.

Just a thought ......... Randy
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by randyrap; 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM.
                        Randy Rapedius

Comment

Originally posted by randyrap View Post
                          The prices for 55h and 44xs lower units have been quickly rising to the point where it could start to push away D stock racers.

Why not allow Yamato lower units to be used? There are plenty of them around at reasonable prices.

Just a thought ......... Randy
                          I haven't seen the price increase much the past 4 or 5 years and I haven't seen any above the price of a good Yamato PRO unit or Konig or Rossi. If you have been buying them for a lot less your friends were doing you a favor and not selling them at "market" price

Comment

44xs gearcase

An honest question for the sake of this discussion.

Originally posted by Racers Edge View Post
                            Dave Scott sells 44 lower units
                            I didn't know Mr Scott sold the 44xs gearcases. How much does a newly rebuilt unit cost?

Thanks.

Comment

Item name: Mercury Outboard Racing D Lower Unit Gear Case
                              Sale price: US $1,384.59

This was a M55H lower unit on ebay that went for about where the market is at for these. Some new parts, the 1:1 gears are not new, of unknown origin, and the case has been welded:

The Skeg has been professionally welded with a mandrel inserted in housing to protect cone threads and housing bore from distortion.

If this had been the newer 44xs case the bid may have been higher. Collectors/hobbyists, are after the 55H ones, as well as Classic racers, driving the price up for non existent (NLA) parts.

Other ''D'' lower units on eBay have been going for $700 up to $1000.

Tom Cronk recently sold a PRO Yamato for $800 ... http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/sho...ato+lower+unit
                              Last edited by randyrap; 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM.
                              Randy Rapedius

Comment

Working...
                              X