1957 Konig 350cc “B Alky” Outboard Racing Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Konig 350cc “B Alky” Outboard Racing Engine

Up for sale is a rare racing engine from the fifties. It is a NOS (new old stock) engine that I discovered for sale in Texas back in July of 2011. The engine was never raced. Only tested by me in a test tank. It runs perfectly.
    It comes complete with the wood shipping crate that it was shipped in to the importer of Konig racing motors in the fifties.
    See the
    attached photos to understand the story that follows:
    I grew up racing boats in the fifties. My dad started me racing in 1948 when I was eight years old. By the time I reached 17 I had landed a sponsorship to drive for Konig and Walt Blankenstein, a highly regarded tuner for boat racing engines during that era.
    I was very familiar with all the mods that Walt did to the Konig engines before he sold them to his customers. I installed the mods for Walt back then, so the pictures you see are the parts I made to make this motor as the ones I assembled all those years ago.The pictures show how the engines were modified from stock to the final modifications. The mods were sold as add on kits
    These pictures show copies of the mods that Walt designed for the motors. I made them in my machine shop.They are very close if not exact. The final pictures represent the appearance of the engines as I raced them for the factory back in the fifties.
    Asking $4000. Offers considered.
    George Taylor

I can be contactedat: gwt@rerunracing.com
    Cell: 407-324-6493
    Email or call me for more pictures and information
    If you plan to attend any of these events I can deliver it to: Vintage Race Boat Regatta, Tavaries, Fla (3/16-17/19). ACBS Boat show, Tavaries, Fla (3/22-24/19).
    Lake Alfred, Fla USTS (4/26-28/19). USTS DePue, Ill (7/24-28/19)

As shipped.JPG Before.JPG After.jpg DSCN9903b.jpg DSCN9894b.jpg DSCN0032b.jpg

Attached Files

Looks just like the engine that my friend, Chuck Fridelll (Lakeland), was racing in 1965, although Chuck's cylinders were blue. Chuck normally won. Chuck also had a water-cooled can muffler that he ran on the longer courses, such as at the Miami Marine Stadium. He ran the megaphones on the short courses.

Comment

• ezryder
      ezryder commented
      Editing a comment
      In your friend's day megaphones were history. And expansion chambers were taking over. Then they discovered sliding the pipes and megaphones were no longer used.
      I switched to motorcycle road racing in the late sixties and expansion chambers ruled. Of course we had gearboxes to keep them on the pipe,as it were.
      Last edited by ezryder; 02-28-2019, 06:24 PM.
Working...
X