What to buy for a helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy for a helmet?

I just noticed my helmet is outdated with the snell 2005 label so I am looking to get a new one although I am not sure what is the best option Simpson,bell,racequip,shoei,etc my old helmet is an srp and I love it but cannot seem to find it for sale anymore so am looking for a good alternative ,quality is a concern

Look around find one that your comfortable with. Make sure it is tight enough that is comfortable but doesn’t give you a headache. Helmet drag is a concern in our sport, which is entering the water feet first and getting water trapped between your head and helmet. Depending on what you buy you may not be able to get a hi-viz helmet but you can get it painted. I had to do this with an Arai helmet recently. If you go that route get a white helmet. Look at the Snell approved list and go from there. I personally like to try helmets on before I buy and not every helmet fits the same within a brand. Arai helmets are hard to find in Canada to fit. Shoei and Arai fit differently from each other. There are other good ones out there, Bell, Simpson, HJC, Scorpion, etc. Good Luck with your search.

Comment

Simpson, you get what you pay for. What is your head worth to you?
      Ryan Brewster 57-S

Comment

The old Bell slogan was “If you have a $10 dollar head, buy a $10 helmet”.

Both Security and Simpson have helmets available. Orange might be hard to find at a motorcycle shop.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Please double check the APBA General Safety Rules, but I believe Snell 2005 rating is still legal this year.

Comment

Fit is super important. I have two Bells and one HJC, The bells are size large and the HJC is size small and all of them fit me........I myself will be buying a new helmet and will most likely try them on at a motorcycle shop first and then order an orange version either from the same motorcycle shop or another supplier. I can't imagine buying a helmet without trying it on first....

Comment

I second Dave Cofone. I went to my local motorcycle shop and told them what I needed. They of course don't stock any of the legal APBA colors but I could try on helmets of the same make/model as those available in solid legal colors. Once I found the right fit they ordered the yellow I wanted. If for some reason it didn't fit, they would make it right at no cost, and since it's a local shop I don't have to ship it back. (It always did fit, and I've gotten two helmets this way.)

It used to be that you had a few options but now that HJC no longer makes a yellow, you might be limited to Shoei at your local bike shop.

Incidentally, APBA allowed SNELL 2005 through 12/31/2018. You now need SNELL 2010 or newer.
              Dave
              42-C

Comment

FYI, Thankyou Halestorm for verifying the new APBA helmet requirements. A person has to dig deep to find that rule change. Good info for all drivers to check their helmets.

Comment

I’d recommend buying a Shoei from bamfmoto.com. Order the Qwest model they have in yellow (they don’t carry it anymore) the owner will call you and offer an upgrade to the 1200 for a GREAT price. He’ll probably give you a free t shirt and stickers too 😁

That happened to myself and Jason Bonano sp? last summer. His great customer service alone will keep me coming back.

Comment

Working...
                  X