cut resistant socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut resistant socks?

There may have been more discussion on this at the national meeting but I have not seen any minutes posted yet, so. Because of the mandate to wear cut resistant socks .What constitutes a approved sock ? From what I have so far read in a previous different thread [ cut resistant clothes ], the socks must be advertised as cut resistant with no specific level of resistance mandated. Is this correct? Does the entire sock have to be made of cut resistant material? If not ,what parts of the sock must be? I read that SRP will no longer be a supplier of the sock. I have , as of this writing, found one [ 1 ] supplier of a complete sock. Lifeline .Any others out there? **Most important, when will a pair of these socks be considered as no longer meeting the requirements of being protective and who makes that determination?** I am looking for answers not opinions to this subject. .

Haven’t heard anything from the meetings yet, but from posted details in the past. Cut resistant socks, like sleeves and pants, have no requirements. No cut level or tagging in the books.
    ----
    Graham18ce
    Team Canada ThunderCat
    Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
    Twitter @FralickRacing
    Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

These are advertised as "cut resistant" socks for hockey players. Seems like they meet the letter of the requirement. Tuff-n-Lite is the same material in the suit I wear, but the suit is probably a lot thicker than these socks.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog...view/id/246695
      Tom Burwinkle
      11-K
      sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

• larry terzinski
        larry terzinski commented
        Editing a comment
        Wrong? States only ankle and leg protection. No mention of foot!

yes, they are required...…...SRP and Lifeline has some left or you can buy these ones

https://www.amazon.com/GainzCity-Ult...gateway&sr=8-6

you will be inspected.....
      Last edited by mercguy; 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM.
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
        GrandpaRacer commented
        Editing a comment
        2 pair for $19! Dyneema is 2x stronger than Kevlar.

• dil/viller
        dil/viller commented
        Editing a comment
        wow, I have seen wood go through Kevlar pants, and scissors do cut the material. So where does this leave us? ,Also, I will look at the Dyneema's but for the price I don't think they will be a complete sock.
        Last edited by dil/viller; 02-14-2019, 06:16 AM.

• dil/viller
        dil/viller commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at these Dyneema's. They are only ankle high. and the review doesn't seem to be to positive towards the cut resistant side of protection. So will these be legal? I am not getting the answers from my first post that I need. How but the SORC and the Mod category [ or Region committee officers getting on board and responding with some direction so we are not stopped from racing at a event due to not being legal.

Unfortunately, most of the hockey socks that are available do not offer protection on the foot. The hockey socks are generally made with cut resistant material at the ankle and the calf. The only socks that really meet the intent are getting harder to come by. I know with my own injury the area that would have been most damaged would have been my foot had I not been wearing the tuff-n-lite socks. The only place where I was cut was my leg where the propeller cut through the Kevlar, my shoe was cut completely through but no damage other than bruising to my foot. The leg was another story. Just be careful what you buy.
      Dave W. Young
      95-D
      "Roll it up or roll it back on the trailer"

Comment

Does SRP or Lifeline have these products on their websites? I looked and couldn't find them.

Comment

• susqueduck
          susqueduck commented
          Editing a comment
          They did....but discontinued???

Lol..... cant get SW20s, 321s,.... now socks....

Cant make this stuff up

If the SORC and the MOD , Pro category chairs [ or Region commissioners ] still follow HR, how about providing the direction asked for in my first post so we will not have any issue's at the first race of the season. **What brand of sock [ Life line only ] ?** One brand may be cut with scissor's another may not. [ should not be a whoops thing not as advertised darn guess I can't race ]. **Have any socks advertised ever been tested?** ** Foot only requirement or up the leg?** waiting, waiting, waiting.

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          Contact your local Commissioner............but i believe SRP has cut resistant socks in stock. If you go to the APBA website you will see the wording of the new rule for footware in Stock Outboard. It says cut resistant footware must be worn. That can be socks, shoes or a combo of both.

• Matt Dagostino
          Matt Dagostino commented
          Editing a comment
          FYI.................
          2f)Every driver shall demonstrate that his life jacket will function properly when requested by the referee.C. Unrestrained drivers in Junior, SO, Mod, and PRO classes, must wear cut-resistant socks, or other cut-resistant footwear at all times while on the water for the purpose of driving racing equipment

• burl11
          burl11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is what Howie provided in the earlier thread:

"This rule was passed in November 2018, it became effective 30 days after it was published. Cut resistant is manufactured defined and labeled as such. There is no rule on where you need to purchase the socks and/or shoes-boots"

So based on this, if the manufacturer defines and labels their socks as "cut resistant" they should be usable. Now this later thread has new comments about a scissors test, and full foot protection which seems to expand beyond what Howie posted. I agree with dil/viller that this should all be defined and made clear before we all show up to go racing especially if we need to bring documentation from a manufacturer.

BTW: I don't believe my current socks from SRP (or Lifeline, can't remember which) are labeled as cut resistant anywhere. I guess I better have a closer look.

The problem will get worse. From what I understand, Tuff N Lite no longer makes the sock that has been offered by our safety gear suppliers. When the suppliers are sold out, there are no more. So the Dyneema socks and others will need to be approved. I suppose they won't last forever having someone hack away at them with scissors each inspection. I have also been told leather boots will not be considered cut resistant. Seems like the rule is kind of a mess right now.

Comment

thanks so far for the info provided, but it's still not enough to feel good about the first race of the season. So, to our elected officers and appointed commissioners let's step up to the plate with the answer's [ not just the written rule ] needed to fulfill our obligations in meeting the safety rules mandated. It will not be pretty at the races when those in charge have to make a choice as to yes you meet the rule or you don't. relieve this burden by clearly putting in writing what sock / socks are going to meet the rule without doing the scissors test [ really? ] **I have never had scissors taken to my Kevlar or Tuff and Lite [ also no longer available ] clothes . I believe some would be shocked these can be cut [ you no, material made into clothes ]. As previously stated SRP on there web site states [ socks no longer available ]. Lifeline still has some available [ I believe ] but for how long? A answer from the leaders of stock, mod and pro or there delegates should be a given on this. Also my current pair of socks [ also don't remember from which supplier ] are not labeled. Not in any dispute over the rule , but this is a prime example of how a simple and a good protective measure becomes a potential nightmare [ we have a situation here ].

Comment

My guess is Dyneema socks available at 2 pair for $19 on the Internet has set price level where it is not practical to compete against. Kevlar is 7 times stronger than steal, Dyneema is 15 times stronger than steal. Kevlar absorbs water, Dyneema does not. I bought some and they are soft and comfortable. At this price put two pair on if you are worried about their strength. I have a 1/4 inch Dyneema rope that is rated for over 5,000 lbs. I would not rely on an inspector to enforce this rule, I doubt they will inspect for it. I would decide how much my feet are worth protecting and then wear the best you can find. The Dyneema matherial fairly easy to recognize, but not as easy as Kevlar.

Comment

• Flatiron
              Flatiron commented
              Editing a comment
              Could you please provide a link as to where to purchase the socks you are talking about.

• GrandpaRacer
              GrandpaRacer commented
              Editing a comment
              It is in Mercguy's post above.

By the book at this time there is no scissor test. There is no label requirement that says it has to be labeled cut resistant. The socks most people are using from SPR and LifeLine are no longer made but can be custom ordered in larger quantities, but far too high of a quantity to be cost effective for anyone. Too much inventory risk for our sport. Likely to high of a quantity to work effectively even if all parties grouped together to purchased as a group.
            I’ve been working on making a sock, in early stages at this point but the order quantity makes it a challenge. The inventory risk makes you inflate the price to protect your investment from loss. Selling 30 socks is easy, 100 maybe selling 500 or 1000. That is many years.
            ----
            Graham18ce
            Team Canada ThunderCat
            Facebook - www.facebook.com\fralickracing
            Twitter @FralickRacing
            Instagram @FralickRacing

Comment

A few years ago I made cut socks out of cut sleeves purchased at Grainger Industrial supply. They ended being tube socks double layered. Worked fine.

Comment

• dil/viller
                dil/viller commented
                Editing a comment
                wondering, if the material is cut resistant , how did you make socks out of them?

I went to the link that Mercury posted on Amazon and they are currently unavailable

Comment

Welp.., I just placed a call and left messages at Lifeline 928 669 9241 and SRP 253 850 6405 to enquire about cutsocks and if they could direct me to where they might be available. I did the usual google for Dyneema on amazon and they are no longer available.., or so it seems. I could be mistaken.

Seems to me, it would be great to have decent cut-socks that come up well above the ankle bone. Or wear boots that accomplish the same. The boots I wear I bought in the Navy Exchange. Or you can go to armynavyoutdoors.com and take a look at the different style boots that are available. Some are called jungle boots and aren't heavy, tolerate water, and are easy to get on and off. They definitely protect the ankle area. Prices are not bad either. And, you might even find them comfortable when you're dining out at Waffle House.

Oh.. and if you're worried you might look like an alt-right trooper.., you can spray paint them to match your helmet.
                Last edited by ram95; 02-16-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

My son was heading off to work today to do some fill in work behind a slicer where he works. He showed me the gloves he has to wear while using the slicer, they are distributed by Southland Industrial Supply, Inc. and are labeled SIS-GLYBOT-G cut resistant. I went to the Southland site and as usual they had gloves, sleeves, but no socks or pants. The material seems to look like the cut socks pictured in a previous post, grey with orange trim.

Comment

Working...
                  X