Junior Classes Engine - Want To Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Classes Engine - Want To Buy

I'm looking for three Junior Classes Engines. Would be interested in stock(no racing gearcase) engines as well. Let me know if you have any for sale. Located in Oregon.

Matt
    541-441-3257
    math.richardson@gmail.com

Originally posted by mathrich View Post
    I'm looking for three Junior Classes Engines. Would be interested in stock(no racing gearcase) engines as well. Let me know if you have any for sale. Located in Oregon.

Matt
    541-441-3257
    APBA has the Mercury AX motors available.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      As does Gary U.S. Pond............

How many complete new "J/AX" engines does APBA actually have?

Comment

What is the year for the mercury engine? Or block number? I tried looking on the apba website and there isnt as much info as the omc engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bosv23 View Post
        What is the year for the mercury engine? Or block number? I tried looking on the apba website and there isnt as much info as the omc engine.
        1999 and newer
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Here's a tipsheet I made when we started J/AX racing...needed a guide for reference when I found donor motors.

click for file link here:
          The Preferred APBA Mercury Motor

Feel free to reach out with any questions...

Comment

Originally posted by bmitch1 View Post
            Here's a tipsheet I made when we started J/AX racing...needed a guide for reference when I found donor motors.

click for file link here:
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fHPmM6brMef2edUsA1_p3ODeAFuZXmLG"]The Preferred APBA Mercury Motor[/URL]

Feel free to reach out with any questions...
            Good info!! One thing to note that on the 96-98 blocks, you have to slightly modify the mounting boss to fit the later "red stator"....
            Last edited by mercguy; 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM.
            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

What would a fair price for a merc without a unit that has been refreshed by Daren?

Comment

• bmitch1
                bmitch1 commented
                Editing a comment
                If it helps... general Merc guidelines from my own experiences since 2014:

Purchasing a race-ready Merc / used: $3,200-$3,400

Building your own Merc from a fishing motor - you'll need a gearfoot @ $1,200 and a BTM conversion kit at $730. Everything else is dependent on what kind of a donor motor you've found. I've found good base motors with usable standard bores for $650-$800 from Craigslist. You should get the bores checked by a proficient machinist which will run $150-$200 (that's straightening 2 cylinders, and a dunk in the hot-tank for cleaning). Merc OEM parts for the rebuild, including 2 fresh pistons, plus the necessary gaskets and seals, will cost about $275. So... for example, donor Merc ($800), BTM kit ($730), gearfoot ($1,200), machining ($200), reassembly parts ($275) = $3,204

Working the math backwards you can find race-ready Mercs without the gearfoot for $2,000-$2,200. (Actually at $1,200, I'd suggest the OMC A gearfoot is a much more stable economic investment than the typical mid-cap stock over the past several years)

Just as a pricing reference - I've found shortblocks on eBay ranging between $225-$450...sometimes with a portion of electrics still attached or even the reed block, sometimes not. It never hurts to use the 'make an offer' approach and sometimes they'll even offer free shipping (which is great on a Merc block that will run about 15 lbs on the UPS scale).

For new J parents reading this post now or in the future - building a motor from the fishing block is a great way to learn how the motors go together, and understanding how to troubleshoot problems later. Ask questions and reach out to your local club or other J families...and get your kids wrenching motors with you because it's a great opportunity for building relationships!

One final note: you can save some money if you get lucky and find a good donor motor (Gary US Pond style) for $400 at a yard sale... I have dreams of catching the mythical deals he gets but I have no such luck! lol

Originally posted by mathrich View Post

Matt
              541-441-3257
              Matt, I have two APBA owned J Engines at my house. You can call APBA and and have one of the nice ladies there run your card and tell them you want to pick an engine up from me and you're DONE! You can grab all these 44 blocks and parts when you get to my house, bring a truck!

J-Dub

Comment

Looks like we are going with engines that have fishing lower units. Thanks for all the responses!

Comment

Working...
                X