102 coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 102 coil

Looking to buy a set of 102 pick up coils. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

I find it pretty hard to believe not a single person in the boat racing family couldn’t point me in the right direction....

Comment

The coils have been NLA for years, I do not know of a replacement.

Comment

I took the wire coils off the core and rewound the primary wire. Then added a generic secondary external high voltage coil for each plug from Parts Unlimited. I used external Nova II to replace the points but these proved to be unreliable. Instead one could use the original points. I did not do this but see no reason why they would not work. The only tricky part is to carefully remove the original big wire, which is the primary wire, keeping track of the direction of the winding and the number of turns. Then rewind it with the same gauge magnet wire in the same direction for the same number of turns. One side of this new wire is grounded, the other goes to the points and the external coil. If you were really careful one could just remove the fine wire (the high voltage wire that goes bad) from the original coil and use the primary as is. I wasn’t careful enough to do this.
        Or put a 302/321 ignition on the 102...
        John Adams

Comment

Sounds like the 302/321 ignition is the way, what has to be done?
          Can that conversion be used in the Y80?
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• GrandpaRacer
            GrandpaRacer commented
            Editing a comment
            You need to make a shim for the top bearing but the worst part is finding and paying for a 302/321 ignition and the top bearing holder. I do not know about the Y80 or if it legal to do it.

I would suggest doing the John Adams ‘ie Grandpa Racer’ rework... just get in touch with him and he will be glad to lead you through the process. I’m sure it will be way cheaper than a 302 magnito.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thank you for all the input guys!!

Comment

Working...
            X