Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - Windshield Material

Hi All,

Looking to buy some windshield material for a project that My Dad and I are working on.

Does anyone know where I could get a sheet of it?

Regards
    Craig Furnal
    Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

on line, McMaster-Carr

Comment

yup McMaster-Carr.. They have everything you could need
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Polycarbonate is the material type.

Comment

I'm Guessing that you are buying the Scratch- and UV-Resistant Polycarbonate.

Also what thickness are is usually bought. I seem to remember that we use to buy .006 but wanted to make sure.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you want .062; not .006 inch thickness;

Do tell of this project you and your Dad are working on? Is your Dad making a comeback?
          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

It is for a Flyer is all I will say right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dew1us View Post
              I'm Guessing that you are buying the Scratch- and UV-Resistant Polycarbonate.

Also what thickness are is usually bought. I seem to remember that we use to buy .006 but wanted to make sure.

You want the thickness of 1/16" or .063". You can get it in colors but most people use Clear or Smoke.

Another name is Lexan......... I think GE used that name.

Google; Lexan and / or Polycarbonate. Another source is Tap Plastics.

Easy to buy on line. If you are only doing one project, measure the pattern and then you can buy a "Partial Sheet" that would be the right size. I have mostly bought a Partial Sheet that would be just the right size.

Tap Plastics also has the "Trim" strips for the edge. I'm not sure what it's called.

Good Luck.
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Bayer Material Science makes polycarbonate under the Makrolon product name (like GE has Lexan) - I've had good experience with it (1/16" thickness - .062" as noted above)...

http://www.lairdplastics.com/ - has offices around the country - I was able to source it locally and avoid shipping.

Comment

Craig, tell your Dad to call us, there is a place right there in Rochester that we get it from.

Comment

I got mine (Lexan) at Home Depot

Comment

Craig, if you just want clear get at Home Depot or Lowes or Menards... a hell of a lot cheaper then shipping a sheet. Want a color or smoke hit the web sites
                      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

"Uvex" is another trade name for a flexible, high impact sheet plastic.

Comment

Trim is 1/4 inch door guard, get it at any Finishmaster store.

Comment

Working...
                          X