Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB 20H 55H ring compressor tool

I always struggle to get the pistons back in
    does anyone have one of the mercury tools or its equivalent to sell?
    the narrow split collar tool clamps over rings and then can be removed from between block and crankcase
    someone probably made these once upon a time
    someone probably has one they will never need to use anymore
    mike michaelt48@aol.com

The 20-H ring compressor is much different from the split crankcase 55-H item. It might be possible to fabricate a 20-H item. I have both and could try to copy the 20-H one.

Alan

Comment

• Mike 41P
      Mike 41P commented
      Editing a comment
      20H is what I need. I've never had 55H but thought since it is same bore and era it was also 1 pcs crankcase. If you could put up pictures and dimensions maybe I could make something. I have mine apart right now and will have to put it back together in a couple of weeks. If you feel able to make one let me know more by email . Mike

A hose clamp will work on the 20H

Comment

I have rebuilt or restored over a dozen 20H in the last few years and I still find the best way to install the pistons back into the cylinder block to be using my thumbs. I line up the rings so they are centered on the locator pin in the middle of the opening gap. I take a felt tip pen and mark the ring with a line that crosses the ring and leaves a mark on the piston. That way I can be sure the rings do not bind. I also check that the rings are still aligned with a mechanics mirror. I hold the gasket in place against the cylinder block with masking tape to keep it out of the way. I place the crank into an stand in a vice and work on the lower piston first, after getting that piston in I remove the power head and set the back side of the block on my work bench rotate the crank shaft so the top piston is at or near TDC and let weight of the crankcase push down while I collapse the rings with my thumbs.

Hope this helps, by the way I have tried the ring tool and the hose clamps and neither work as good as my thumbs

David

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I actually just put my 20H back together yesterday so it will be while before I do this again. I definitely like the hose clamp, makes sense and makes me think I should have come up with that one too. I actually made a clamp out of wood, 1x4 clear poplar, hole cut 2.5, slit it in half, 2 deck screws....
        Well, it worked for one piston but then was too bulky to fit in for second. And it did not work very well. not really slick enough. So I won't save this 'tool' or recommend it to anyone.
        So for 2nd piston went back to that old thumbs, fingers, small screw driver, rock it up and down, and pretty soon it does go back in with experience method.
        But I really like it better on my HR's where I can use a std ring compressor.
        And if there is ever a next time I do mean to try the hose clamp
        Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
        X