• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezoats with KG4H

Came across this nice looking vintage Bezoats hydro and engine

http://www.search-boats.com/detail/o...450402162.html
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

I had a Bezoats of the same vintage, about 1976 or so. Ran a 20H popper and 25SS on it. Never did like the handling, dumped it twice.

Comment

Would make a great outfit for Classic "A" Hydro!!!

Comment

Any of you guys have an idea what a KG4 H and a KG7 H are going for now days. I have a complete KG4 all original and was thinking of putting the quicksilver unit back on it. Just a thought.

Comment

• dwhitford
          dwhitford commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't take less than $800 for mine, and Doug Reed has a KG4 Q (with the original 2"-longer driiveshaft) at Fishers Landing priced higher than that.

I just delivered a rebuilt, not restored KG4H for $1,400. Had new parts in engine and gear foot.
        David

Comment

Regarding the Classic Merc motors, are there any races for these motors on the east coast? KG4H,MK20H etc.

Comment

Not quite the East coast, but we've had the odd East coast racer here and our guys go there. But Ontario has pretty full fields at all our events for the B. Competition is tight among the top half of the field. I think we might get elims this year. Had 13 at one event, but one guy had to scratch. There are 11 in the pic below taken at Gravenhurst in 2013 I believe. Some guys are out to win, others are using classic boats with the classic motors. A new generation is growing up racing these here now... several teens and 20 somethings racing these thanks to John Webster and now his son Ross for generating the enthusiasm for the class. Also of course several classic drivers for these classic motors living the old days. We get a KG4H the odd time too and let them go out with the AX or A class for some fun. If three of any Classic class show up they can race for points. bch1.jpg
            Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM.
            Fralick Racing
            Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              That is really great to see the popularity regardless of on a classic or new boat

• runabout333
              runabout333 commented
              Editing a comment
              Does anyone have a notion about using the STOCK 20 c.i. Hot Rod in Classic B???
              The stock engine was a great ride and we had 12 of them in the days in Minnesota.

• Andrew 4CE
              Andrew 4CE commented
              Editing a comment
              We have 1 or 2 20ci HR who come out. They are in the mix at the front. I'm not sure the weights or heights of them compared to the Merc 20H. We also have about 7 Sidewider 20ci running in their own class. Rob Dixon would be the one to talk to... he's knows these engines and classes and setups inside out. Rob's user name is "Dixon 5ce" on here.
              Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM. Reason: added name

A few years ago (25 ?) when I first got a dial up internet I read a story about building a KG4H. It was a good article because it agreed with me ( my criteria for good ) and sounded like the way I built a KG$. When I went back it was gone and I never found it again. Too bad; with a classic division there must be people who could use the information.

Comment

I rebuild 6-8 KG4H, KG7H and Mark 20H engines a year. Currently working on my third engine this year a 20H that spun the flywheel and wiped out the crank and the flywheel and the most of the recoil including a brand new spring.
              David

Comment

I have 2-KG4H,1-KG7H,1-MK20H, and 1-MK20H conversion, all in excellent cond. I have been running one of the KG4H motors on a new "A" picklefork hydro just for fun, would love to maybe race them someday.I am in central Pa., so I guess there are not any classic races near me.

Comment

• runabout333
                  runabout333 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn't the 20-h "popper" a legal APBA A-mod///250ccmod engine???
                  Check with the Pennsylvania club(s) and see if they run this class..

• madstork
                  madstork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mercsami,

Runabout 333 is correct. You can run your 20-H popper in AMH at our TRORA races. We are having our annual
                  Memorial Day weekend race at Justus Lake in Franklin Pa. Franklin is in NW Pa near the Allegheny R.
                  Feel free to P.M. me for any information.

Sincerely,

Doug Follett
                  Three Rivers Outboard Racing

Originally posted by rumleyfips View Post
                A few years ago (25 ?) when I first got a dial up internet I read a story about building a KG4H. It was a good article because it agreed with me ( my criteria for good ) and sounded like the way I built a KG$. When I went back it was gone and I never found it again.
                More than likely, you were viewing George Stillwill's website... Unfortunately when his website host, Geocities, went under, so did his website. It was a fantastic resource for anyone rebuilding a classic A or B Mercury engine. He also included a great step-by-step pictorial of the rebuild process, including the magneto ignition system.

George, if you're reading this, I have tried contacting you about resurrecting your website at my expense...

Tom Brockmeyer

Comment

• rumleyfips
                  rumleyfips commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Back in the 70's, some pretty smart people showed me how to set up a Bendix mag.

Herb Lanphear sr. showed me how to work points. He flattened them with 400 then 600 wet and dry then polished them to a mirror finish on white writing paper. Then he adjusted the post until the points were perfectly parallel .

I watched Fred Nelson check point tension with a Mercury tool. I made my own guage from a spring loaded tire pressure guage and a piece of wire. It was calibrated with a 2 pound weight to match the Merc 32 oz. spec.

Mitch Myer phoned Bendix and found that they recommended a .010 airgap between the field and magnets. He told me to glue 2 pieces of white paper ( .006 each ) to the fields and adjust them until the magnet just shaved off a tiny bit of paper.

A mag set up like this would throw a loud, blue 1/4" spark with a quarter turn of the flywheel.
              Working...
              X