Mk 55 block, and question about old Merc parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk 55 block, and question about old Merc parts

I have a Mk55 block and front case, the fishing block, which was what many of the D Stock guys were using for a while in the early-'70s because they would swing bigger wheels than the Mk55H, as the story went. This one was bored +.015" by Jack Hall, who did the boring for lots of Reg.10 racers at the time. Nothing was ever done with it, and I've assumed it was valueless and have thought about welding up a set of pipes and making a powerhead with no parts inside into a pretty cool table-lamp (which I really don't need, either). Am I right in believing that there are no pistons now being made for B/D Mercs? I'm guessing there are enough Merc 500s around that crankshafts, rods, etc., aren't impossible to find. But is there any reason that anybody would have a racing use for this block/case?

Certainly no racing application in the NE. True mark 55H blocks have fallen in value a lot over the last 2-5 years. This one may have value in the AOMCI crowd, assuming that it's a solid +015 block w/o any water leaks.

Comment

NBRA approved a new piston for the 55 H 40ci last year. I am not sure if was ever produced or not. Maybe someone can weigh in and let us know.
      Art K

Comment

We are still working with Weisco on the final design. One issue we are facing is the cost of new forging dies, quoted at $7,000.00. I have the drawing's for the new 40 pistons to approve the design in hand now but they will require some modification to use the large thick spacers because the thin ones for the 40 are hard to find. Will keep you posted as things move forward.

Alan

Comment

Working...
        X