Looking for good J, ax, A runabout plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for good J, ax, A runabout plans

With six grandkids looking to race, I am looking for a very competitive J, AX, A runabout plans to build next summer, fall. We currently have two hydros and an Austin copy AB runabout which I understand may not the best boat for the above classes. Out here on the west coast, the Jackel by Daryl Sorenson, seems to be a good choice. Are there any boats on the east coast that are also a great runner? I am looking for a boat that will lift out of the water but not pop the nose into the air. Aerodynamic lift would be great at the CG of the hull.

Any ideas with contact sources for plans would be appreciated.

Smiley

We built one of the Sorenson kit boats last winter for my daughter and she loves it. I would recommend this to anyone.
    Attached Files
    444-B now 4-F
    Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Darrell Sorensen

Go here:

http://www.boatracingr11.com/sorensenmain.htm

Plans and Kits.

"Jackal" J/A Runabout..... see the list of national wins and records.

Darrell Sorensen..,.. 559-665-2690.. Chowchilla, California

Good Luck.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Runnecraft
        Retired racer turned bartender

Comment

Sorensen Wood Craft

TWO WORDS!!! Darrell Sorensen..,.. 559-665-2690.. Chowchilla, California.

Darrell build Chad's J Runabout It was the PERFECT J Boat and I feel would be a good AXS boat...

Chad did have turning problems with the A, but looking back, a bigger fin would have solved the problem.

If you don't want to build one, Bill BOyes has a kit, and as soon as he finishes MArlee Hill B and H Kit, which is next week, he could start on the Sorensen Runabout kit for you.......if I don't buy it.

Comment

Thanks Ron, Good talking to you again Dean. It's been since 1963.

Ron, Howie, Dean, I agree that the Jackel is a great choice. Darrell would be and is a great support.

I was curious if there is anything better, hence this thread.

McCourtie, Is the boat pictured in your inset a Runnecraft? The one with the plywood canted deck? If so, what is the height from the bottom to the high point of the deck in front of the wheel? Weight? I have limited clearance in the trailer. How is this boat compared to the Jackel in handling etc.? Are plans available?

So far my first choice is the Jackel but I can be convinced otherwise if a good case is presented. Any other comments?

Smiley

Comment

2009 JR National champ

Carter Olson was driving what is essentially a Jackal.

Bill

PS - same boat is also 2009 central divisional champ, national hi point champ, and set a Kilo record at D-Lake Oregon this fall.
              Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

The boat in my avatar is a DiFebo copy built by Ed McCourtie specifically for J with a OMC. We're not taking any more orders this winter.

Dylan Runne, 2009 AXSR National Champion, Also placed in the Top 5 with this boat in ASR at Grass Lake Nationals. Rich only builds boats that win.
                Last edited by 42M; 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM.
                Retired racer turned bartender

Comment

Working...
                X