X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NKM157
    started a topic Questions about boat building materials

Questions about boat building materials

New stock outboard guy here, looking to run 300SSH this year. I'm currently working on a hydro and I'm wondering if you are allowed to incorporate materials such as aluminum or light Gage sheet metal into the air traps? The current air traps on my boat are in rough shape (The vertical air traps, not the bottom of the boat) and I'm thinking about wrapping/covering them in with a light weight metal. Also I'm curious if there is a minimum height requirement for the throttle side of the cock pit walls, I would like to lower my current cock pit wall but I'm unsure of the rules in that area. Final question, if I'm running 300SSH do my plywood cockpit walls need to be covered or layered with any other materials? or is just the plywood OK for stock outboard? I have looked through the 2019 APBA rules but I'm just not finding the info I need, might just be over looking it. Can anyone help me out??

• baries
    replied
    I believe what you are calling airtraps are what I call air fences, and I agree with pav225 do not use metal for safety reasons

Leave a comment:

• seanp3
    replied
    I wouldn't use any metal on the upper trap just for safety..

Leave a comment:

• pav225
    replied
    Wood, West System epoxy and some filler work really well. If needed you can also use some 6oz fiberglass.
    Where do you live? Maybe someone close by can give you some pointers.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Weber
    replied
    Wood is preferred for traps in many cases.

It is possible to modify a wood trap easily to find that perfect
    set up.

Leave a comment:

• ryanbrew57s
    replied
    Can you upload some pics of the air traps? There is no rule about the height of your cockpit side for the throttle side nor do you need any material other than the plywood on the cockpit side.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X