Enclosed Trailer Lofting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosed Trailer Lofting...

Would those that have an enclosed trailer be willing to share picture or two of how you lofted your beds for runabouts and hydros? I will have two marathon runabouts and potentially a csh/300 hydro (likely top for runabout, bottom for switching between runabout/hydro). Not sure if one should weld up a metal structure or use wood. Also, how do you mount something for the engines? Likely a 7x16 vnose trailer. Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by ScatCat; 12-24-2018, 09:05 PM.

Check with Home Depot or Lowes for Unistrut, it is available with all sorts of fittings for cross members, floor flanges and will do a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by baries View Post
      Check with Home Depot or Lowes for Unistrut, it is available with all sorts of fittings for cross members, floor flanges and will do a great job.

Thank you! That looks like the perfect solution. Any pictures of how anyone designed and constructed with Unistrut? Would help not to have to re-invent the wheel...
      Last edited by ScatCat; 12-25-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Following!

Comment

Don't have any pics with me,but build a low boat cart for the bottom position. Wheel in and tie down. Unistrut carriage bolted to the upright trailer supports . Unistrut angle supports out to the bunks. In my 7 foot wide trailer,we were able to keep the center between the bunks open so you could walk through. I'll look for pictures when I get back to my computer.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
            Don't have any pics with me,but build a low boat cart for the bottom position. Wheel in and tie down. Unistrut carriage bolted to the upright trailer supports . Unistrut angle supports out to the bunks. In my 7 foot wide trailer,we were able to keep the center between the bunks open so you could walk through. I'll look for pictures when I get back to my computer.

Dan

Thanks! Great idea on the low cart. Any pics would be great!

Comment

We have a 8'x18' trailer. We used strut to make a freestanding frame (we have it bolted to floor). The middle was left open so we could walk through. We found that Home Depot was the cheapest for the strut, and used eBay and McMaster to find the brackets. Grainger was much more expensive.

Comment

• ScatCat
                ScatCat commented
                Editing a comment
                This is awesome! And, very helpful! Looks like the perfect way to go... Anyway you could provide a pic or two of the underside of the brackets and the motor stand?

ScatCat,

I used E-track system from Truck and Tow .com Affordable and easily adjustable. There is a post, "Trailer Set-Up Ideas" that I responded to
              with pictures. My computer skills are lacking or I would post the link here.

Sincerely,

Doug Follett

Comment

Garvin Industries has most of the brackets needed and at a lower cost than Home Depot or Lowe's.
                444-B now 4-F
                Avatar photo credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Originally posted by ScatCat View Post
                  Would those that have an enclosed trailer be willing to share picture or two of how you lofted your beds for runabouts and hydros? I will have two marathon runabouts and potentially a csh/300 hydro (likely top for runabout, bottom for switching between runabout/hydro). Not sure if one should weld up a metal structure or use wood. Also, how do you mount something for the engines? Likely a 7x16 vnose trailer. Thanks for all the help!
                  I used wood, I should have used metal. I'm going to re-do with Unistrut some day.

Comment

I use Verticle E Tracks, Adjustable E Track Load Bars, and 2x4 with outdoor carpet as rails. The load bars hold 2,200 lbs a piece and they are aluminum so they aren’t very heavy. It’s fully adjustable for any height and can be easily removed or raised when there’s no boat on it so you can easily walk through the trailer. It also doubles up as a bunk bed with a sheet a plywood for those nights where your crew needs a place to crash. You can also then use the E Track in correlation with straps and secure things to the wall.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ScatCat
                      ScatCat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      These are great. Can you point me at the attachment fixtures for the 2x4 attachment to the load bars? Looked around a bit and couldn't find them. Can you give me a link, or a name I can use to search? Thanks!

ScatCat, you can get them at Menards or Home Depot. I had to cut the u bolts down since they only come in one length for the width I needed and then I picked up 1x1 angle iron which you can get from the hardware store. They had stuff with holes already in it.

Comment

This is a really good idea. I just bought an enclosed trailer. I wanted an open trailer but I don't have the time to set it up properly so it was just easier to buy enclosed. My walls are made with Z channel so I'll want to support the rails with something bringing the load to the floor. I'm no engineer and I worry about damage to the walls.......

Comment

Scat Cat, if you type "Enclosed trailer" in search on this site you will see a few different ways to build a rack. The trailer I recently bought can be found on 2nd page 16th post. Shows yet another way to mount a rack/loft for 3 boats. Works great for me. Good luck with it !

Comment

Working...
                        X