The season so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The season so far

I am shocked, delighted, embarrassed & amazed to see I am sitting pretty in 41st place nationally in 20ssh
    Out of 94 (still can't believe I figured out how to check this)
    Blown out 4 or five times
    DQ'ed twice (jumped once & changed lanes in the start chute once) lessons learned
    Ran out of gas once
    mis-counted laps once (quit after 2 laps- thought we were done)
    Fell out of the boat once (turned right too hard turning back into the pits)
    Collided once w/ another boat milling (not my fault) Not as scary as I thought it would be
    Had the sponsons 3ft above the water once (ditto)
    Came to realize just how much fun it is in the turn/rescue boat/ flagging/ running the clock, helping out in general- I LOVE THIS
    Wearing my rookie stripes on my helmet as a badge of honor- (if you're slow- say you're slow)

Second greatest thing to happen so far this year: Passing another boat at Whitney Point
    #1 greatest thing to happen so far this year: Passing a boat IN THE TURN at Lock Haven

George & Moxie
    522-P

George,

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Things will just keep progressing as you learn.

Send me the fin template.....

Steve

Comment

Smoked a gearfoot on my y80 at Millville.
      Got smoked in 20ssh again too
      I'll try again at Tabor city in two weeks
      I am entering the powder puff race where you have to dress up like a girl to enter
      I'll no doubt get smoked again but can guarantee I'll be the biggest slut there
      522-P

Comment

George...........remember to keep the gas valve turned on all weekend!! We all get one pass on that mistake.........next time you will have to put the rookie stripes back on your helmet!

Comment

Tom
        The prop shaft & the driveshaft both turn- but you turn one & the other doesn't move
        It does not crunch/bind or feel weird
        Mr Jennings said I might have broken a pin(?)
        Is it ok to send it down to you for a look see
        I ran the TECcraft this weekend at Millville...FANTASTIC boat
        I love the way it turns...AFAIK it has not seen a starting clock since 1992
        Matt
        I will hopefully never do that again
        My rookie stripes are still on my long suffering helmet BTW-
        and are liable to remain for the foreseeable future

Many thanks to The lovely Miss Abby Pond for keeping an eye on Moxie Sat night while I was passed out
        Moxie loves you<3

522-P

Comment

• Tom Cronk
          Tom Cronk commented
          Editing a comment
          Send it down and I'll see if I can fix it before Taber City (I will be there).
          Tom

George,bring your guitar to Tabor City.I'll be there and ready to jam.Remember to have fun!!!

Comment

Thank you Tom- it will be on it's way later today
          Dave Deck- that old warhorse has been at every race this year- it will be at Tabor
          squirrelboy

Comment

Glad to hear that you are coming to Tabor City, and I hope that Moxie is also able to attend. Will she be entering the costume contest? I'm pretty sure she is in the hunt for the 2017 Party Stock Champion

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_40504.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	834.7 KB
ID:	458923

Comment

Thank you Abby for the great picture-
              I'd know that look on moxie's face anywhere- she is staring at whatever you guys were throwing for her/ likely a stick or ball
              If anyone reading this that is heading to Tabor has any props that would be good for a 102 restricted in 20ssh they would like to sell please bring them along- thx
              Worked til after 8pm last night & did not get to shop for a costume
              They are making me fix one boiler this morning before I can leave- they're doing their best to kill me
              All overtime/residual funds are going straight into the George Washington Titzell NEW MOTOR FOR 2018 FUND

Dave Deck
              I am not towing the trailer to Tabor
              Everything is jamcrammed in the pickup- moxie is strapped to the roof
              Not sure the guitar will fit
              But I'll try
              See you tonight hopefully before 10pm
              George & moxie

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelboydeluxe View Post
                I am shocked, delighted, embarrassed & amazed to see I am sitting pretty in 41st place nationally in 20ssh
                Out of 94 (still can't believe I figured out how to check this)
                Blown out 4 or five times
                DQ'ed twice (jumped once & changed lanes in the start chute once) lessons learned
                Ran out of gas once
                mis-counted laps once (quit after 2 laps- thought we were done)
                Fell out of the boat once (turned right too hard turning back into the pits)
                Collided once w/ another boat milling (not my fault) Not as scary as I thought it would be
                Had the sponsons 3ft above the water once (ditto)
                Came to realize just how much fun it is in the turn/rescue boat/ flagging/ running the clock, helping out in general- I LOVE THIS
                Wearing my rookie stripes on my helmet as a badge of honor- (if you're slow- say you're slow)

Second greatest thing to happen so far this year: Passing another boat at Whitney Point
                #1 greatest thing to happen so far this year: Passing a boat IN THE TURN at Lock Haven

George & Moxie
                522-P
                This is some fun reading, takes me back sixty two years to my first season (BSH, homebuilt Hal Kelly boat, fell out both heats of my first race).

Comment

my first race in c mod hydro at lock haven after being out of racing for 32 years i sank. i couldnt get the boat on plane and stopped and went back too far in the boat and under we went. the old round nose hydros had taller transoms and sides. ooops. what a kodak moment.

frank novotny

52-E

Comment

What's a boat cart? Is that a requirement to race now, 522P?

--(Sixties racer, 27R/R27)
                    Last edited by Smitty; 10-29-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• fbref5269
                      fbref5269 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i remember those races in the BC era(before carts) took 3 to carry a fully rigged boat to the water. but then again i was much younger then, i'm older than that now.

• Smitty
                      Smitty commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nah, with ASH and BSH you could tell your crew guy to take a wide grip on either side of the (round) bow while from the back end you took a grip down low under the cavitation plate of your KG4/Mk15/Mk20H, and the two of you could walk the boat into the water.

Another advantage of those two classes is that if you were loading up at home and had no help (or no one you wanted to bother) you could put a pad under the back of the boat, tilt it bow-up, turn your bod around and scootch under the boat and pick it up on your back, work your way over to the back of the van, and carefully work the bow up on to the back ends of your roof-rack and gradually work the boat up onto the rack to where you could tie it down. Did this several times; the boat only weighed maybe 105-115 lbs after all, and when you're a young, strong, handsome, dumb kid you can do lots of zany things.
                      Last edited by Smitty; 10-30-2017, 10:47 AM.

Waiting to hear how you did. No dolly, bad windshield is nada. I would be willing to bet someone would put there boat on something to get you going. Windshield is nothing. Again I'm sure someone would be creative to get you going. Boat racing family are awesome no matter what category.

Comment

• M Miner
                      M Miner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They helped me last year when me boat cart broke.

I was at Tabor and had an extra cart that never had a boat on it all weekend!

There is hardly anything that can't be borrowed or improvised with the help of your racer friends. I too once forgot some important stuff. After that I made a written checklist. I print it out every race weekend and it has not happened again. It also works when converting from a full trailer to a truck only trip.

I have no advice on the Balt/Wash traffic except perhaps move south.

Hang in there and start fresh next season.
                    Tom Burwinkle
                    11-K
                    sorracing.yolasite.com/

Comment

there is a back way to bypass the dc parking lot. it will put you on 95 just south of fredricksburg va. ive been stuck in that parking lot before and always go the back way. you even pass the site where john wilkes booth was trapped in the barn after lincolns was killed. it's just a plaque.

frank novotny
                      52-E

Comment

Working...
                      X