No announcement yet.

The season so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one thing that I will take away for Stock Outboard is that no matter what, there is always a way to get a driver on the water! There is always someone who has an extra cart, and the windshield well that is optional! (joking!) Let me tell you a little story about the boat racing family. I have had it on my bucket list to run Top O. 3 years ago, I was up pitting for my dad who was convinced his KG7 and Switzer baby bullet could handle it. After testing all day Friday,we were getting ready to leave to register him, when Broge comes over and says, why don't you run the spare KG4 on my boat. Put it on there, and go! I made it 1/8 before the motor crapped out on me, and the rumor I stopped at the Breakers for a beer may or may not be true. The next year, my father was recovering from some health issues, and I ran the Kg7 and Switzer, finishing Saturday, but discovering I had given the old girl a beating on Sunday and never finished in fear of sinking the boat. Fast forward to this year, and I had lined up a boat that fell through the week before Top O. A few posts and calls, lined up a boat and then testing, showed none of my A props would get the boat on plane. I finished both days, with the only gear that was mine, being the cut suit.
    Moral of the story, if there is a will to be on the water, there are enough families and teams out there to help. Ask for help! and on the flip side, if you see a racer or team struggling, then offer whatever assistance you can. We all have been on both sides of the coin.
    When it comes to boat racing and the wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission, and of course I spent a number of nights sleeping on the couch!

Comment

I hope you stay in racing. I enjoyed reading you post here on Season So Far. We all have had our share of bad luck on and off the water. When you go 1800 miles, lose an axle, tire, and rim in Nebr, blow up a motor testing the week before the Nationals, you will find out real quick you have friends from all over the country. Yes this happened to me. There I sat trying to figure out how to fix a motor. With the help of many in a few hrs I was back going again. Not to mention my cowling for my 500 yamato took a walk. That was no problem either. Litzel took his off and said here. Don't give up yet to many of us here who want to see you continue. I'm one of them!!!!!

Comment

this has gotten me through some hard times.
        When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
        When the road you're trudging seems all uphill, When the funds are low and the debts are high, And you want to smile, but you have to sigh, When care is pressing you down a bit- Rest if you must, but don't you quit. Life is queer with its twists and turns,
        As every one of us sometimes learns, And many a fellow turns about When he might have won had he stuck it out. Don't give up though the pace seems slow - You may succeed with another blow. Often the goal is nearer than
        It seems to a faint and faltering man; Often the struggler has given up Whe he might have captured the victor's cup; And he learned too late when the night came down, How close he was to the golden crown. Success is failure turned inside out -
        The silver tint in the clouds of doubt, And you never can tell how close you are, It might be near when it seems afar; So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit - It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Comment

Did you ship the 80 unit to me????
          Tom

Comment

If this is your first year,, don't just quit. It will get better. Shoot,, I burnt up my Yamato 80 the 2nd,, 3rd, and 4th race.. Did not know about timing locks. Today's experienced drivers will help you.. Remember,, they were there at one time. Take the winter to regroup,, work on the checklist and remember,, Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Means,, the more you check and clean your equipment,, the more you will learn.

Comment

Boat racing people are the greatest people you will ever come across. I am also in my rookie year 500 mod, I have borrowed props ,pipes boat cart,gas,oil tape,tools.I flipped in Kentucky went to the ER, only to return to the race site to find all of my equipment all packed up,engine dried out and in running condition. I have no doubt if I had not broke the C7 vertebrae they would have set me back up for Sunday. We had planned on sleeping in our van and that was not going to happen , all hotels were full so my wife and i were offered to stay with another race team in his room. If there is someone at a race that you do not know,just assume they are friends you have not met yet.

Comment

Working...
              X