Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with 15hp mariner

Hello all, new guy here.
    I've had a Gheenoe 13' highsider since I was 12. Almost 30 now. Always wanted it faster, boat handles amazingly well. With a 15 hp mariner I see speeds of around 25, banks on turns. I'd like to build this mariner, build a jack plate and see what it can do, once the motor is done I'd like to build or buy a runabout.
    I am in need of a racing gearcase, can't find one, what are my options other than the 1200$ sidewinder gearcase? I'd like to buy a used one.
    Everyone here has airboats and mud motors, I want to do something different and maybe spark some interest in the sport

I'm more or less here for the same reason, find some speed in my 15hp Mercury.
    Did some blue printing on the (fishing) engineblock and light modifications on the boat / stainless steel prop.
    (Finding a racinggear is not an option in Europe...)

Nothing compared to the 10XS (hint hint)

Perhaps the racing engineers have simple tips to make these little engines faster ...
    Eat, sleep, Race, Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by GheenoeRacer View Post
      Hello all, new guy here.
      I've had a Gheenoe 13' highsider since I was 12. Almost 30 now. Always wanted it faster, boat handles amazingly well. With a 15 hp mariner I see speeds of around 25, banks on turns. I'd like to build this mariner, build a jack plate and see what it can do, once the motor is done I'd like to build or buy a runabout.
      I am in need of a racing gearcase, can't find one, what are my options other than the 1200$ sidewinder gearcase? I'd like to buy a used one.
      Everyone here has airboats and mud motors, I want to do something different and maybe spark some interest in the sport
      ​A racing gearcase, unfortunately are expensive... achieving more speed from a tin boat having a keel and rivets in the bottom is also difficult... this was explained to me by Sid Bass many years ago... none-the-less , I purchased one of his gearcases! Try this forum for other suggestions-
      http://aomci.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Comment

GheenoeRacer, you have had a fun and dependable ride for almost 18 years, and you are able to get your 15 hp Mariner to push your boat 25 mph, how much faster do you want to go? 35, 45, 55, 65, 100? Speed cost money. There is nothing like driving a Hydro on you belly at over 100 mph, do you have the time and money and desire to do so? If not, try a few things on your current ride, jack the motor up a bit, try different pitch props, change the pitch of your current prop, play with engine timing, get weight out of the boat and off the engine, try an open exhaust, for starters. If you still want to do actual racing, check out the US Title Series.
        Last edited by KURPS; 07-16-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

No One Has Air Boats or Mud Motors!
          Everyone here has airboats and mud motors, I want to do something different and maybe spark some interest in the sport[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Wakefield 2015
            Wakefield 2015 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think he meant where he is at everyone has mud motors and airboats - FL

Factory gearcase water pickup under cavitation plate, I don't think I could raise it much like that, I thought about having bobs put a nose cone and low water pickup, but at 600 I'm halfway to a racing gearcase and would still be limited by prop selection and 2:1 gears.
          I do want set it up correctly as I plan to build or buy a runabout and hopefully race it

Comment

Ya or 50k bass boats with 300xs. So many lakes around here and the Orlando area, should have some races here!

Any clubs in central Florida?
            Last edited by GheenoeRacer; 07-17-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Is it a good idea to clean up and polish ports in this motor? Has anyone found a way to increase compression in these motors?

Comment

Working...
              X