Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts & observations from a new guy

It is no wonder boat racing is dying.
    I have wanted to race a boat for 40yrs and am all geared up for 2017.
    I ordered a new 20ssH boat that I am supposed to get next week.
    I also was fortunate to secure a second boat to practice in.
    I rounded up two yamato 80 motors that are ready to go; one is a proven winner.
    I bought a Yam 102 that was very successful in the hands of it's previous driver
    I have Kevlars and a new lifeline lifejacket. I'm still helmet shopping but I have one that will do for now.
    I am just south of $10K and do not have what I consider a competitive prop yet.

Lord have mercy.
    I have been reading with amazement over on the General forum that there is a serious effort to get rid of the Yamato80 and the 20ssh class altogether.
    This is my typical luck- I arrive just as the party is ending.

Because this has been a dream for so long, I suppose I will pony up the $$$ for a sealed 321 instead and pray it does not explode because it will not cool.
    If by God's grace the motor stays running long enough to reach the finish line, I will tip my hat to the veterans/experts that are running in what is supposed to be an entry level class (300ssH)- and secretly wonder if they invited fourth graders to their college debate competitions.

Sorry for the negativity. I'm just shaking my head and wondering how I am going to enjoy this with so many torpedos heading straight for my boat.

522-P

I have a Y80 too.

Don't give up hope, but, you have to really pay attention to the trendlines in this sport. Be aware that some great deals are dead ends unless you are a collector. Don't take as inevitable most of what you read here. Keep in touch with your reps and be a part of the decision making. Run your rig in another class if 20ssh is axed and you may find other 20ssh drivers may join you. Who knows you may place well when some overheat. I am an advocate of cutting classes and eventually going to 3-5 classes. I went through the rather evolutionary period in SO back in the 70's with the OMC in 25ss. Remember this a hobby sport and have fun.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by dover xs View Post
      I have a Y80 too.

Don't give up hope, but, you have to really pay attention to the trendlines in this sport. Be aware that some great deals are dead ends unless you are a collector. Don't take as inevitable most of what you read here. Keep in touch with your reps and be a part of the decision making. Run your rig in another class if 20ssh is axed and you may find other 20ssh drivers may join you. Who knows you may place well when some overheat. I am an advocate of cutting classes and eventually going to 3-5 classes. I went through the rather evolutionary period in SO back in the 70's with the OMC in 25ss. Remember this a hobby sport and have fun.

Steve
      ​You really needed to shop around, I am having a brand new CSH built(brand new) all the rigging, Safety gear, a sealed Yamato 302 with prop by a prominate builder $6700. They are a lot of great people in this HydroRacer community and willing to help a new guy out without trying to break your bank!
      ​It seem to me all these guy's are close and one person can't help ya, you know he or she has list of contacts that will. But there are few of the opposite out there and all they see is $$!

Comment

Don't worry, 20ss is not going away. It is Stock outboad's second largest class with a large number of Y80s participating. Too many racers love the class and too many clubs need the class, so it will not go away. Actually if the 300 series is allowed to use cooling devices 20ss may grow. Also, don't worry about 300s dominating the class, the parity will be adjusted if that were to happen. John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by squirrelboydeluxe View Post
          It is no wonder boat racing is dying.
          I have wanted to race a boat for 40yrs and am all geared up for 2017.
          I ordered a new 20ssH boat that I am supposed to get next week.
          I also was fortunate to secure a second boat to practice in.
          I rounded up two yamato 80 motors that are ready to go; one is a proven winner.
          I bought a Yam 102 that was very successful in the hands of it's previous driver
          I have Kevlars and a new lifeline lifejacket. I'm still helmet shopping but I have one that will do for now.
          I am just south of $10K and do not have what I consider a competitive prop yet.

Lord have mercy.
          I have been reading with amazement over on the General forum that there is a serious effort to get rid of the Yamato80 and the 20ssh class altogether.
          This is my typical luck- I arrive just as the party is ending.

Because this has been a dream for so long, I suppose I will pony up the $$$ for a sealed 321 instead and pray it does not explode because it will not cool.
          If by God's grace the motor stays running long enough to reach the finish line, I will tip my hat to the veterans/experts that are running in what is supposed to be an entry level class (300ssH)- and secretly wonder if they invited fourth graders to their college debate competitions.

Sorry for the negativity. I'm just shaking my head and wondering how I am going to enjoy this with so many torpedos heading straight for my boat.

522-P

The Yamato 80 and Yamato 102 arn't going anywhere..........they will be legal motors in there respective classes in 2017 and into infinity i would imagine. This is the time of year boat racers get cabin fever wishing it was 80 degrees and sunny and there was a upcoming race. Hydroracer is a fun place to 'banter' and exchange thoughts and ideas and blow off a little steam!. If you want the real scoop call your SORC Chairman or local SORC Commissioner you voted for to represent you.

Our team races all Model Yamato's including the 80 and 102 and will continue to. These engines arn't going anywhere....)

Comment

What Matt said! Your best bet is to ignore all the in-fighting, conversations, and work on your rigs. Nothing has ever been settled through the internet and that isn't going to change any time soon. Everything happens at the national mtg.
            Joe Silvestri
            CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
            JH/JR

Comment

• Brian10s
              Brian10s commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said Joe. HR is great for entertainment but has never settles anything.

Yah , what they said ! There's a couple of frequent flyers on here that would argue that the earth is flat , oh crap I just started the latest thread .

Comment

522-P...... don't pay attention to anything on this site unless its something for sale!!!! Go racing and have fun!!!
              sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

George, Don't worry about your Y80 or 20SSH, they'll both be here for a long time. Your boat is in the finishing room and looking good. It won't be long now.

See you soon, John

Comment

Great thread and I'm sure I speak for everyone in the community when I say welcome. As most have stated you should not be concerned. That said I would argue that we have failed you as an organization. Why is it that 522P invests $10k+ in equipment and we don't have him in a "New" and "Available" engine?

Comment

I think the most important part of why we race has not been talked about yet. We spend way too much time worrying about equipment.

We are a big family and we use our little boats as the reason to get together and have fun. I have won more than my share of races and yes winning is fun. Yes, I get frustrated when I have " one of those weekends" but I keep coming back because of the overall experience.

I even come to races that 4-Z, Ryan Runne attends . This is a hobby sport and we do it because it's fun!

Tim
                    Tim Weber

Comment

Welcome to racing 522-P. You will be in great shape with 2 Y80's and a Y102. The SORC is not going to drop these engines from racing and there is not one logical reason to eliminate them. There are current commissioners that race these engines. So, it is not going to happen. We run CSH and we just bought a Y80 for 20SSH. So, stay on track as your engines are very competitive. In fact the 102 won the CSH Nationals this year. And, the Y80 won a heat at the National too. Oh, the Y321 does not overheat in 300SSH. What is the saying, believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see. It's winter, we are all a little crazy... Have fun.

Comment

You are really going to like your boat from John. He builds a great boat and I love mine.
                        David Everhart S52
                        Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Lee...you are only crazy in the winter? I am crazy all year round so I got you beat by a long shot.......

Comment

Thank you
                            Thank you
                            Thank you.
                            I would need about three dozen more if I thanked each person who responded here, PM'ed or emailed me privately. In two days, I have risen from the depths of despair to the shining pinnacle high atop Happy mountain. Many times, I have read that boat racers are like a family. You guys have confirmed this tenfold; and made this red-headed stepchild feel like he really DOES belong. God Bless each and every one of your beautiful hearts.

As much as I would like to address each comment posted on this thread, I would only assure 14J that APBA has certainly not failed me by not having me a new & available motor. Lord knows the Y80/102 are not new. But they sure as heck are AVAILABLE- and as Mr. Sutter very succinctly points out still doing quite well thank you at the national level. Sweetest music I have heard in quite awhile.

There is no way to adequately express my sincere and heartfelt thanks to the SEES RACING TEAM 22-P for their offer of pit support, motor starting, help/advice/technical assistance etc. Also for supplying me a prop that is gauran****teed to "get me in the spray". THANK YOU JOE & CHOLE!!!

Last but certainly not least, to a former Lion in the sport of SO boat racing from central Georgia; who in his typical rebel modest way prefers to remain anonymous. This individual invited me to his private dock for two days of intense training over the Thanksgiving holiday- where I made the successful transition from wannabe to "driver". Then sent me home WITH THE BOAT and told me to "run it like it was your own". A greater friend I will never find.

Thanks again guys for this wonderful Christmas present- and I will see you all ON THE STARTING LINE

George Bressler 522-P

Comment

Working...
                          X