I NEED 50 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED 50 mph

Hi folks. Im so very bored with my boats, to the point that i sold them all off. Im going right to a hydro. I want 50mph and i need to know. Do i get a 3point or a c class? What motor? Hp? Prop? Lower unit manditory? Im going to do my best to come in under 2 grand. Any advice here? Will a stock 40 with a big prop make the cut??
    Help help help

You ask a 3 point or C class but they are not comparable, the first is a design and the second is a class to run in.

Well at age 29 your knees are most likely in good shape so a kneeler will work if that is what you want. Hydros are not pleasure boats and if you plan on lake running careful is the word they flip easy, or a more stable runabout might be a better choice if you want a seat type drive. You would need good safety gear, jacket and helmet, safety throttle and kill lanyard. If at least 50 is you goal that is easy in a hydro. For instance a Yamato 80, 102 or 302 and a hydro to match plus right prop (you will need a few) and set up (experience here) and you will be over 60 easy. My Y80 on a vintage hydro (the one in avatar I still have) runs mid 60 and a good 302 rig will easy top 70 on a C class hydro. They are bullet proof engines and parts available more so for the 302 and that one has a CD ignition (better than points) but probably will go over your $2k budget with the boat. You will have to raise your budget for boat and engine to more like $3k for a used ok rig. Estimating prices: props are in the $150+ range, jacket and helmet would be $300 used but in decent shape, boat for $800 - $1000 used and an engine for $1200- 2500 depending on which Yamato. Using lowest range that is $2450 for 1 prop, jacket, helmet, boat and motor (Y80 price in this example). There are complete deals out there..

On the right hull and set up with right prop a stock 40 hp should hit 50. Before I got into racing when I built the hydro in the Avatar. My dad had a 35hp E rude on the rack so on the hydro it went, prop was too deep and heavy engine and it would do about 45 and I water skied behind it. Probably would have done 50 if I built the transom higher and a different prop? and got the revs up. It was fun. Then I got race engines and it was more fun at APBA races.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Another recommendation is to link up with a local club (there are some racers out near you) and start asking them questions - many clubs also have a new folks in boats program where they provide instruction and get you out in a boat the same day. As ZUL8TR points out, hydros can be very finicky and you don't want to just jump into one... racing hydros only turn left and if you attempt to turn right, you'll in all probability do a barrel roll or two (with the exception of some river racing hydros which are built for rougher water and turning either way)... same if you hit a large wake - you may go flying or stuff the boat and end up with a long swim to shore. Trying out a hydro with a club will ensure you have the appropriate training, safety equipment, and rescue/recovery assets available for that magical first ride.

Comment

Looks like in your Avatar you have a Invader. We have one set up to go over 50 mph. We have a ported mark 58 on
        one. Would be a lot safer on a lake than a hydro.Here is a picture of my brothers and nephews Invader.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	invader.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	447669
        Last edited by jp183w; 07-25-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jp183w View Post
          Looks like in your Avatar you have a Invader. We have one set up to go over 50 mph. We have a ported mark 58 on
          one. Would be a lot safer on a lake than a hydro.
          Fantastic! Ill be starting fresh without the invader however,
          What size prop?
          Whats the gear ratio?
          By ported do you mean the inside of the carb is polished? Exhaust hole polished up?
          WOT Rpm???
          Thanks for your input, you the man

Comment

• Harold8
            Harold8 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are in Ontario, Canada, check out the torc.ca website. Classifieds and info about racing etc there.

If the avatar pic is the boat you have the motor I'm guessing is a 25 OMC, probably the older 22ci version. If so that's way too much boat for that motor to move fast. If you go with a hydro I strongly advise getting a ride in one to see what you are getting into before spending on one. For lake running or public water it's best to run a hydro 1 class designation above the engine size you use, this is true whether a stock or race motor is run. A C with a C motor is meant for closed course racing where equipment is worn & rescue is on water,, with good reason. You should however find 50 fairly easy to obtain with a decent retired racer. Beware of buying just any hydro, a good known race builder's model is advised. Good Luck>>>>>>>>>>>>
          Team Tower

Comment

Keith, your expectations are unrealistic at several levels:
            1) You will not find a working turn key race boat at <C$2K to get you over 50mph. Even an ASH will cost C$3K to get you to 50mph.
            2) If you just want to achieve >50mph in a race boat, save your $2K, spend $150 to attend TORC Racer school June 2017, you'll go 60+mph with proper instruction, safety gear, controlled closed course. Then decide if you want a race boat.
            3) If you must go >50mph this season, find a beater PWC at <2K and go at er.

Attend TORC Haliburton race Aug 20-21, learn what you can, many racers will provide guidance, go from there. I'll be there.

Cheers,

Hydroid
            Stock Outboard Racing!....because other sports,....golf, football, baseball, etc....only require one Ball!

Comment

Come to Haliburton and look at 4-CE. I will have it set up for 20ssH with a Y-80 easily and safely
              capable of 50-60 mph. $2400 a nice rig.

Comment

• Keithhutchinson444
                Keithhutchinson444 commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that sold with or without a trailer?
            Working...
            X